Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
Testing Vehicle Information
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear D-Series.org Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance.

We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,008 Posts
How long is it going to take and when is it's projected start and finish times/dates? Also, what data will be lost?

Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that D-Series.org will be migrated to our new platform on 8/28/2019. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!
If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration.
We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!
~ Community Support
https://www.d-series.org/forums/d-series-org-site-help/313405-community-software-update.html

"Your commitment and passion for this community is essential and so appreciated by the members as well as us here at VerticalScope. Thank you for all that you do! While we have been posting brief updates over time, we felt it was important to provide a broader update on the community platform software and user experience. We apologize for the formality of it, but thought now was a great time to share this information.

Over the past year or two, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software this site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to the more modern reliable standards that users deserve. Our advertising experience and certain ad partners have further degraded the functionality of the site. This is not the experience we want for you or the community.

In addition to an improved user experience, better site speed and overall performance improvements, it is critical for us to respond to and provide a secure environment to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking resolution. We are now working with a world-class design and product development team to research and build a new code base that meets the needs of the community. By making this sizeable investment, we will also create a foundation that is easier to maintain and innovate on in the future. Overall the new platform will provide the ability to serve you better.

Our research and your feedback thus far has told us that we need a site that performs well and loads fast across all devices. The community wants to seamlessly be able to search and discover great content and threads. The site needs to easily fit the needs of all members to increase their ability to make connections and share knowledge whether it is through text, images, video or message.

Thank you for your continued patience throughout this process and all the hard work you put in as a community leader. Your time and dedication are greatly appreciated. We are committed to making things better for you and your community members.

Sincerely,

~ Your Community Leadership team & Management at VerticalScope

We are excited to share our progress and include you on the next task in order to prepare for the upcoming site updates. From time to time, it is necessary to perform some general maintenance tasks to ensure that there is no outdated or obsolete data that may conflict with new features added to the site. We are undergoing general maintenance tasks in the following areas:

- Cleaning obsolete and outdated permissions and access
- Removing inactive user groups, badges, and ranks
- Cleaning up/ adding off-topic sections

Regular housekeeping will allow us to eliminate redundancies that may create conflicts within the current platform. As a key player in the success of this community, if you notice anything that is no longer needed or used, please let us know by commenting below.

Keep an eye on this thread, as we will be keeping you in the loop on any changes.

We appreciate your support and commitment to the journey to build a better experience for the community. We THANK YOU!

~ Community Support

As we have announced above, we have been working to improve the overall user experience on our sites.

After extensive research and investigation into our options, we would like to announce that we will be upgrading and migrating our sites to a new forum management software. We have worked with a design and product development team to enhance Xenforo and provide a modern and much better performing platform. We will no longer be using third-party applications and plug-ins to add features and products to the sites. Instead, we build them ourselves so we can better manage and maintain them moving forward.

We really wanted to focus on creating a sustainable platform that performs well, and loads faster on all devices, while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating, by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

I bet you’re thinking, “Well, what does this mean for me and the community?” It does mean change, but it will help solve a large majority of the issues that you may have been experiencing. We have used the feedback we have received from the community to help us prioritize the changes and improvements. Uploading an image or video will be easier and streamlined. Ads will be less intrusive and fit with the general layout. The site will be responsive - no longer will you need to use a mobile skin! Security and user privacy will continue to be a top priority.

To ensure the site functions better overall, some plugins and products may not migrate. The Community Management team is here to support you through this transition. We would continually like your feedback and input as we continue to build new features and updates for the community.

When will this be happening? As soon as possible! We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. We will be keeping you updated as promised. We are looking at a couple of days turn around, but the date is subject to how much information needs to be mapped for the site and migration efforts.

Thank you all so much!

~ Community Support "

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
The only way I can see this being a positive thing(and i use the word positive very loosely) is if it were to somehow integrate social media into the forum to get more users back on the forum.

Honestly, if i struggle to log in, i"m probably done.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
944 Posts
whats to update it works just fine ..

it's all history should be archived and left alone, just how gramps would have wanted..

must be those telephone assholes again!

·
Administrator
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,

The current software the site is using is out of date and heavily reliant on 3rd party app. At the moment all we're able to do is apply short term fixes that don't actually solve the problem. The new software is 100% controlled by us, meaning if something breaks we'll have full control in fixing it.

This will be a full site migration meaning all data will be transferred over so there shouldn't be any loss in data.

Niall

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
This will be a full site migration meaning all data will be transferred over so there shouldn't be any loss in data.

Niall
:roll:

We don't need a new user interface.
We don't need any mobile app.
We don't need social media integration.
You will not profit from the website.
Leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
Civic turbo Hx/Ex
18,609 Posts
:roll:

We don't need a new user interface.
We don't need any mobile app.
We don't need social media integration.
You will not profit from the website.
Leave it alone.
I disagree... It's good to keep up with the times and upgrade. Especially since we are dependent on a 3rd party. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see what the admin sees.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
I disagree... It's good to keep up with the times and upgrade. Especially since we are dependent on a 3rd party. Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see what the admin sees.
I fully agree. It like running Windows 95 without any updates.

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Absolutely nothing to gain by updating here, everything to lose.

I can almost guarantee the 3rd party they're dependent on has to do solely with the mobile app.

·
Administrator
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No we mean Vbulletin, the creator of the forum software, and they've moved on from our preferred version a long time ago. They don't help fix issues with the version of the software we use anymore (VB 3).

I'm sure there is going to be a learning curve for the new platform, but in the end it's still just Forum Software. No matter what, they all follow the same general lines and methods, and we'll have team members on hand to answer any and all questions during transition

Kevin

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
What about PM box issues, such as I've been a member for 13 years and my pm box has been effectively reduced from 1000 to nothing, 450/150 messages allowed. Are they going to disappear whenever you decide to change everything?

·
Asshole
4,112 Posts
Gee let me answer my own question now that I found out I can no longer send and likely receive PM's. So let's get that limit reset to 500 or removed.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,252 Posts
No we mean Vbulletin, the creator of the forum software, and they've moved on from our preferred version a long time ago. They don't help fix issues with the version of the software we use anymore (VB 3).

I'm sure there is going to be a learning curve for the new platform, but in the end it's still just Forum Software. No matter what, they all follow the same general lines and methods, and we'll have team members on hand to answer any and all questions during transition

Kevin
When I get time I will mess with settings on my end with the Durango forum to help others try to keep a similar format that forums have been and we are used to.

I got :popcorn: waiting for when you switch yellowbullet over :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.