Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a garrett turbo from turbo specialties... I guess its water and oil cooled.... Do i have to use the water and oil for this turbo to be right? i guess im supposed to tap into the heater core for the water and run the oil normal... Any info on this will help idk shit about it...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
read my signature.....if you want your turbo to last an reasonable amount of time i suggest hooking it up

oil cooled turbos have large oil passages that not only lubricate the center section it helps coo lthem off aswell

watercooled turbos oil passage is just big enough to allow the oil to lubricate and does no cooling whatsoever, so it has a coolant passage that allows your motors antifreeze to do all the cooling.....so with out water lines you will cook your turbo

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool i just wasnt sure how it worked... Thanks man... This turbo will take the same rebuild kit of any other garrett t3t4 correct?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Idk you never posted the type of turbo you have....how am I to know what rebuild kit it needs

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry man lol its a t3t4 from as far as i know i bought it in a turbo specailties kit from a friend of a friend... the turbo is shot has tons of shaft play my guess is he didnt run the water lines right or something... its an .ar 48 not sure what else... the housing is stamped m24

·
Registered
852 Posts
Run the water lines for sure. Even if you wait a while before shutting it off you should still run the lines.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ill take pics in the morning and post them i have another turbo that i would like to use instead of paying crazy cash to have my garrett rebuilt... or at least us the other 16g until i have the extra cash to get the garrett rebuilt... The problem i am having is finding a flange to make my downpipe... i need to take it to a welding shop and have them custom make me a plate to fit my turbo... turbo is off of a starion conquest tsi

·
Registered
431 Posts
Run the cooling lines and don't forget to run the cold/inlet to the lowest part of the turbo and the hot side to the upper side, it will help wick away the heat after the engine is shut off.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
Another big advantage of water cooling your turbo is the fact that you dont need to let it idle for a minute before turning your car off.

I water cooled my 42/48 garrett without any issues and the turbo worked flawlessly.
ive never let any car ive ever boosted idle for a minute before turning it off

its not 1981 anymore broski, oil is much better today.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oil still breaks down danz. Conventional degrades at 250 degrees, blend 300-350, and syn 350-400. A turbo actually depends on high levels of heat to function properly in the 800+ range. This creates heat soak into the parts and if the oil does not cool properly it breaks down into a hard sand like substance that clogs oil ports to the vital areas and will create excess wear. Even watercooled turbos can benefit from a turbo timer.

On the t3t4 the oil Ports are not very different from an oil cooled turbo compared to a watercooled. They can be safely run strictly oil but highly suggest using the water. Where you run into issues and need watercooled is with smaller frame turbos like t25 or under.

Using synthetic is best. Synthetic does not have the natural occurring impurities like sulphur that can oxidize metal when oil breaks down. Oxidizing creates excess wear. Not only is super heated oil bad for the turbo but its extremely bad for the motor as well.

The primary purpose of oil in a turbo is to cool it down and keep it at a safe operating temperature.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Was this whole fight posted somewhere else?
Water cooled turbos have a the ports and space for water to cool the center. The oil passage is normally very small.
While oil only turbos have a bigger oil passage to help cool. Not bigger holes. Will put it like this, a watercool turbo holds less oil then an oil only turbo of same size.

There really is a post on here that has links to pix of all this.

And dan a turbo timer is always good to lower the temps befor sitting. most of the oil will drain out of the turbo when not running so the turbo stays hot and tranfers the heat to the bearing.

Replyed via cell.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Was this whole fight posted somewhere else?
Water cooled turbos have a the ports and space for water to cool the center. The oil passage is normally very small.
While oil only turbos have a bigger oil passage to help cool. Not bigger holes. Will put it like this, a watercool turbo holds less oil then an oil only turbo of same size.

There really is a post on here that has links to pix of all this.

And dan a turbo timer is always good to lower the temps befor sitting. most of the oil will drain out of the turbo when not running so the turbo stays hot and tranfers the heat to the bearing.

Replyed via cell.

If I listed cut away pictures of the t3t4 bearing housing members would still argue about it. Sometimes I guess its best to accept that what you know from your own experience and facts is just a figment of your imagination.

The oil inlet is no larger on either type and it restricts flow.

One more time the only time oil passages are any smaller is when size is a restriction like with smaller turbos. This its why you see most OEM turbos watercooled. Also smaller turbos are more likely to heat soak due to their size.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts