Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it a necessity or can i just plug it? i just put a z6 into my 92 civic dx and the b7 had the water temp in it but the z6 has a plug.

thx

·
endo_bobo
1998 Civic Sedan
877 Posts
If you mean unplug it, then your radiator fan won't turn on when it gets hot. You could run it to a switch.

EDIT* I see what your saying and the above is still true.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
take the plug out and put the water temp sensor in

·
Registered
840 Posts
you can unplug it and run a jumper across it to short it and the fan will run the whole time, thats what i'm doing right now because i feel like 50 bucks for a new sensor is rediclous

·
Registered
840 Posts
i haven't noticed a drop me mileage at all my car no longer over heats, i check my mileage every tank

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the sensor in it but i do not have the plug for it. i cannot find it on the harness. i took it off my d15b block that was in my car but now i cannot find it. the fan works fine.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
:worthless:

There is 3 "water temp" sensors, one for the fan which is on the thermostat housing, one for the temp gauge, and one for the ECU(both on the head under the distributor). The z6 and b7 have all the same sensors so you shouldn't have a problem? What year was your b7 you removed?

·
Registered
1994 del Sol S
1,103 Posts
it is the sensor beside the oil filter
That would be your OIL PRESSURE sensor. It tells you when your low on oil, so it turns the idiot light on the dash, on. I would keep it plugged in. Its a 1 wire plug, with a rubber umbrella type cover over the wire. If you have P/S, it should be near the P/S pressure switch plug.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
That would be your OIL PRESSURE sensor....SNIP...
Not the case, the oil pressure sensor is ABOVE the oil filter. If the block was a 1992 it may have the OBD0 radiator fan switch in the back of the block instead of on the thermostat housing.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
wait a second

water temp SENSOR? or water temp SWITCH?

the SENSOR is necessary, 100%. it tells the ECU how warm the engine is.

the SWITCH, is not 100% necessary, all it does is tell the fan when to turn on. you can jump this in the harness if you needed to. it would run constantly.

the SWITCH is located on the t-stat housing.

the SENSOR is located under the distributor on the cylinder head.

which are you talking about?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
...SNP...

the SWITCH, is not 100% necessary, all it does is tell the fan when to turn on. you can jump this in the harness if you needed to. it would run constantly.

the SWITCH is located on the t-stat housing.

the SENSOR is located under the distributor on the cylinder head.

which are you talking about?

Some 92 blocks still had the SWITCH at the back of the block like OBD0 blocks. It is 100% necessary to have as if your fan runs constantly you will never reach operating temp and waist gas.

Like I have already said he should post a pic of what he is talking about so we can help him...

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
The thermostat will still control temperature if the fans run constant so the fan switch can be bypassed, but it does strain the battery and cause the alternator to work harder. This shortens the alternators life and uses a bit extra fuel to maintain the charge.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys that explains why my fan were not working. the wire must have torn out when i pulled the motor. it was my first swap. we just wired the fans in to get them working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts