Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im looking on the web and i come accross a site that says that using the water cool ports for the 14b turbo is optional... it said that using them will extend the life of the turbo and prevent coking of oil... but if i dont use them it wont hurt... any input?

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I dont run them, I just keep changing oil..

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
Why not just run them and change the oil a little?

Takes 8 feet of hose, a few fittings, and 5 minutes.

What are your oil temperatures if you DONT run them? Someone please tell me because I dont know.

E

·
0 Posts
Why not do it?

Takes $20 bucks and 10 minutes to install? I don't get why people just plug them up, if they want to keep their turbo for awhile.

·
Registered
258 Posts
thsmrtone1 said:
Okay so im looking on the web and i come accross a site that says that using the water cool ports for the 14b turbo is optional... it said that using them will extend the life of the turbo and prevent coking of oil... but if i dont use them it wont hurt... any input?
Run the water lines, it's easy, and it increases the life of the turbo.

We have kits with full instructions, if you wanto to take the super easy route.

Craig

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, but does the water from the radiator really cool the turbo that much, i mean, the water shouldnt be that much cooler than the oil going through the turbo right??? or am i just completely wrong on that one??? id really like to know

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
turbos get VERY hot... much hotter than the engine if you let them.

If you let the oil absorb ALL the heat, then it can get to a temperature where it will break down. The water is there to share in the heat absorption so the oil will not get as hot. I think that water has a better heat conductivity than oil, so it will actually help cool the turbo better. The only reason water is not used instead of oil is that it would all turn to steam and blow apart the coolant lines by itself :)

E

·
0 Posts
thsmrtone1 said:
okay, but does the water from the radiator really cool the turbo that much, i mean, the water shouldnt be that much cooler than the oil going through the turbo right??? or am i just completely wrong on that one??? id really like to know

you are completely wrong lol if you catch the coolant before it gets to the head or right after it goes through the radiator it will be not THAT hot and will cool your turbo down. Your turbo spins at 60,000rpm+.. just imagine how hot it gets. Water cool the bitch!

·
yellow bar for me
viper blue 92 eg
3,572 Posts
when i had my previous turbo (the one beretta has now) i looked on how to route the cooling lines.. but i never found anything... where do you run the lines.. sorry to thread jack.

·
Registered
1996 Civic Hatchback
118 Posts
Just intercept the lines going to the TB, or run them from the places the coolant goes to the tb if you have them plugged, very easy. I would say do it, theres no reason not to except lazyness haha, and it will reduce the life of your turbo in the end if it came water cooled. I mean its your call but I would do it if it were my turbo.

·
Registered
166 Posts
TunerToys said:
Run the water lines, it's easy, and it increases the life of the turbo.

We have kits with full instructions, if you wanto to take the super easy route.

Craig
hmm... i searched your site at Tuner Toys and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
'95 Civic dx
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lsturbohatch10 said:
when i had my previous turbo (the one beretta has now) i looked on how to route the cooling lines.. but i never found anything... where do you run the lines.. sorry to thread jack.
nah its cool... i probably would end up asking that same question... maybe i will buy the kit... but it might take me a while. ill have to pay off my credit card first. guess it happens when putting together a kit... all this shit i never saw coming that i needed... lol. spring break baby

1 - 20 of 22 Posts