Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i have a water cooled turbo do i have to cool it with water or can i jus plug those holes and only use oil?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea you really should hook some water lines up to it, they have it that way for a reason, It shouldnt be that hard to hook it up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
DO IT! unless you like spending a paycheck on turbo's DO IT!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
there is alot of posts on this subject.....search

most aftermarket turbos are not water cooled, the oil cools them. however water cooled turbos oil passages are to small to cool the turbo as they are designed to have water cooling them down. not running water will cut down on the life of your turbo. i have a water cooled turbo going on my car and in a previous post on this subject i came up with an easy way to hook it up.

pull the hose off the backside of your fast idol valve. hook a hose up to it and then to the water feed on the turbo. run the water drain to the other end of the hose that was connected to the fast idol.

i hope that makes sense

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
I have watercooling and I haven't used it since I put on my turbo 2 summers ago......

I'd do it if I got motivated, have a few projects right now, and I have a really clean and easy way to route the lines like TT thermo housing and something like a fitting on the block drain plug. If I have to route the lines past the front of the block it probably won't happen.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
most aftermarket turbos are not water cooled, the oil cools them. however water cooled turbos oil passages are to small to cool the turbo as they are designed to have water cooling them down. not running water will cut down on the life of your turbo. i have a water cooled turbo going on my car and in a previous post on this subject i came up with an easy way to hook it up.

pull the hose off the backside of your fast idol valve. hook a hose up to it and then to the water feed on the turbo. run the water drain to the other end of the hose that was connected to the fast idol.

i hope that makes sense
good advice:clap:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is alot of posts on this subject.....search

i hope that makes sense
yes it makes sense...thanks everyone

·
Registered
95 integra
504 Posts
its better to use the water if it suppost to have it thats just my opinion.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
what size or type of turbo are you using?

watercooling help prevent the turbos oil from coking or baking when pushed very hard and cooling down.
usually cars that come factory turbod have smaller turbos that are watercooled.
smaller turbos generally produce more heat and are pushed harder than their larger counterparts.
this watercooling will increase the longevity of the turbo.

even larger turbos can benefit from watercooling when used at the track.
hooking up the coolant lines arent that difficult, but thats up to you.

the oil doesnt really cool the turbo much if any. it lubricates the journals that float on a film of oil, similar to the bearings in your car.

heres my view on watercooling.
if its an older cheap used junkyard turbo i wouldn't go through the hassle.
any newer turbo that came with the watercooling option i would def do it.

if its a smaller turbo and youre throwing allot of boost at it youre going to produce a good amount of heat.

if its a large turbo and youre going with a mild boost goal then chances are youre not going to push it that hard

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
journal bearing turbos can be ran with out water cool....ball bearing turbos is reccomended...reason is because ball bearing's require ONLY very little oil and need the extra water too cool it...journal bearings need a shit load of oil to keep the shaft riding on a thin layer of oil between the bearing and shaft...basically journal bearings get enough oil to keep the turbo cool. i hope this makes sense...sometimes im a retard and cant get the words out right... lol...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
boosted jdmhatch post up some pics i wanna see how it turned out

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
journal bearing turbos can be ran with out water cool....ball bearing turbos is reccomended...reason is because ball bearing's require ONLY very little oil and need the extra water too cool it...journal bearings need a shit load of oil to keep the shaft riding on a thin layer of oil between the bearing and shaft...basically journal bearings get enough oil to keep the turbo cool. i hope this makes sense...sometimes im a retard and cant get the words out right... lol...
i agree, but hybrids dont need a shit load of oil, unless you want to blow out the seals.. thats why most except for borg warners need a restrictor to help with blowing out the oil through the comp seals or turbine seals

·
Registered
95 accord/87 ACCORD
491 Posts
Just change you oil on time or before and you will be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts