Honda D Series Forum banner

water cooled? or intercooled?

2K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  4thgen_4dr 
G
#1 ·
i know this has probably been coverd a million times but i was wondering if anyone knew a site on how to setup your setup to water cooled? what stuff is it that you need and how to do?

which is more reliable? and effeciant?

much appreciated

thanks.

G
#3 ·
oh duh?! lol yeah im doing a turbo setup on a sohc 1.5l and using a IHI turbo rbh5? its a probe turbo. just wondering since i have not yet purchased an intercooler yet. just wondering cause if its cheaper il do the water cooled as to intercooled. till i get the cash for intercooler.

G
#4 ·
a water cooled turbo doens;t mean you can skip the intercooler. the water does help keep the turbo temps down a lot, but the intercooler helps cool the hot air generated by the turbo heat and compression of the turbo. so you will need the intercooler regardless if you get a water cooled turbo or not.

I'm running a water cooled turbo and i love it. i dont have to worrie about waiting 5 min to turn my car off because of hot turbo. and when boosting even heavely the water helps keep the temps down a lot. so i say get them both if ay want.

#5 ·
where you stationed at mil hatch?
i have an extra spearco laying around

#10 · (Edited)
hang on and lemme see if I can find the article that I saw a while back on charge cooling.

edit: Site's down at the moment, http://www.docstech.co.za/ I'll try to find the write-up on that D15 for you.......give me a while.

Couldn't find that article, but here's something similar. I know that the local race cars use charge cooling combined with intercooling, it's kind of overkill for a streetcar IMO. This one runs just charge cooling and no intercooler.

http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder-intercooling.cfm

#11 ·
here's another article on air to water cooling or charge cooling......

http://www.vf-engineering.com/index.php?v=/information/info_aftercooling.php

"Typically low boost systems (upto 6 psi) are deemed not to benefit from aftercooling. But due to the location of the turbo an aftercooler for most turbocharger systems is a requirement. For supercharger systems aftercooling is generally not effecient below 6 psi as charge temperatures are tolerable. High compression engines are the exception. "

#12 ·
hey bro he's talking about the water injection...and for the time and $$$ just go intercooler...

#14 ·
I made this kickass water/air intercooler. Sent it to vtecnitrocrx to get welded. Cocksucker never got sent it back. It's a shame I really put a lot of work into it. It would go where the stock air box would be. Fit perfectly.

Oh, well... I guess air/air is better for the street anyway

G
#16 ·
do you mean a water cooled turbo? or a air-water intercooler? if the later, its easier to just go air-to-air intercooler. If the former i personaly perfer water cooled turbos for the simple fact that you dont ever have to wonder if the turbo is getting enough oil to it.

G
#17 · (Edited)
Oh wow @ the replies. I'm fairly certain this guy is trying to ask about water injection and not a water cooled turbo. Water injection helps imensly to prevent detonation, Joseph Davis on HMT made a thread about water injection and how he's planning to run it on a non-IC turbo car and by his calculations it is MUCH more efficient.

Here's a link, he's written up a lot of things about water injection though:
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=36739.msg510968#msg510968

G
#18 ·
umm on offence to you DanW, but JD in my books really is a bunch of bologna, (and i kow bologna ;) )

yes it helps, but it's not the only way, it's a way to deal with bad tuning but will not replace the intercooler.

anything he is doing, thinking has already been done 10000X's over. back int eh 80's when I was learnign about cars, top fuel racers liek the guy who shows me about cars used it for cool his SC down. Carbs are not as tewakable as injection systems so the WI system was used to help deter detonation and help the car along down the tracks.

Before that it was used in WW2 aircraft to help the engines, again tuning issues wre masked by this tactic.

in short a good TUNE can be just as effective AND is less cost now days if you are already set up.

G
#19 ·
also, the point of the i/c is to cool down the charged air from a billion degrees to something more managable, where as water-injection simply saturates the air with water making combustion more difficult, hence why pre-detonation is prevented.

G
#20 ·
so you guys think i should just use intercooler?

hey danw i seen the pics in that thread but i was wanting to see more of it all hooked up and something to help me under stand how it works.

thanks. guys i found a dsm intercooler for $50 or a older thunder bird intercooler for $50 any difference in performance wise or reliability?

thanks again

#22 ·
militaryhatch said:
oh duh?! lol yeah im doing a turbo setup on a sohc 1.5l and using a IHI turbo rbh5? its a probe turbo. .
grab the intercooler off that thing as well. i have one, and @ 15psi it still works great since it's such a small turbo!:beer:

#23 ·
oscarmayer said:
yes it helps, but it's not the only way, it's a way to deal with bad tuning but will not replace the intercooler.

ehh that's highly questionable. you can lean down the mixture and make more power at the same boost level. but yeah both and intercooler AND methanol/water injection is the way to go. :beer:

#25 ·
NastyHabitzCRX said:
ehh that's highly questionable. you can lean down the mixture and make more power at the same boost level. but yeah both and intercooler AND methanol/water injection is the way to go. :beer:
i have actually heard denaturalized alky works a bit better, those it is a bit dangerous to work with...

we will be running alch or meth injection on our civic...we will let everyone know how it works out :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.