Bent key and Cracked camshaft keyseat !

COMP Cams 59300 camshaft
Skunk2 Pro cam gear
OEM Honda B16A2 cam gear key

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't know , i drive about one year with this setup without any problems and last week when i was waiting at a traffic light idle drop and come right back at normal speed ... after the green i started to drive , accelerate normally but when i shift to 3rd it stall and voila.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I'd really pop the valve cover before claiming its the cam.

·
Registered
1990 civic, 1991 CRX
181 Posts
Yeah, really don't know the culprit for sure until you open her up. I'm curious to see what happened since I have a 59300 sitting on the shelf...

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
looks like theres alot of slack around the bolt.

did it get galled? i see the gear isnt centered.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
OEM cam/cam gears do this as well. It is a fight between the timing belt, cam gear, and key way as too which fails first when the cam starts to seize. Common on D15 DPFI that never got proper oil changes. If the timing belt doesn't break first, the center of the cam gear will spin. With the newer 96-00 cam gears the spokes can fail, ripping the center out.

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
I had a feeling it wouldnt be the cam.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had the same basic thing happen to my 96 y7 before. I sucked some of a Fram filter up into the oil pickup that blocked the oil flow. Cam started to seize in the head and the cast in camgear key got sheared off so the gear would spin but not the cam.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
Wiped out the cam, head, cam gear, and intake valves, D15 pistons might be usable but rings are worn.

Hey you could have done this,

Note the same markings near the intake valve pockets....

D15B2/7 with VTEC head swap and large aftermarket cam swap....kiss kiss boom!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah i'm lucky , valve didn't get sealed anymore diesel dripping out the chamber in 6 of the 8 ports...
And yes cylinder wall look like they shine too much yes . But engine only have 100k so i will put the original head back after small rebuild and hope the D15 will still be fun to drive , cause of budget... Engine Output 152hp - 118lb.ft @ flywheel right after the cam install . Hope to see at least 120hp !

Question is , do i need to re-install the Oil control jet if i goes back with PM3 head ? Can i still use a D16Z6 metal Head Gasket to ?

Uploaded other pics by the way.

Attachments

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
oil jet HAS to go back in but I fear you will still have oiling issues. I'd drop the pan and make sure the pickup is not clogged with sludge.

·
Registered
178 Posts
what oil jet you're talking about?
non-vtech blocks have it,
vtech heads have it.
since you're running vtech head, it's already there, if a block is original d15b2(7) it had one too and you have to remove it.

·
Registered
96 ej8
651 Posts
He is going back to a non VTEC head, so yes you need the oil jet, only when you add a VTEC he'd go a non v block is when you don't need the oil jet because vtech heads have it built in

1 - 20 of 32 Posts