Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did some searching on google, ask jeeves, and here. nothing. all that keeps being said is that the A6 is the strongest D-series block. wat makes it so much better than the others? or is it the internal assembly that is better? and if the block is better, by how much is it better?

also, if this has been answered and i'm just being an ass, can you point me in the correct direction?

Thanks,

Steven folchi

·
Registered
728 Posts
There were several reasons: I think the most important is the material that the block girdle is made from.
This is the only reason that I'm aware of.

:edit: Also, I think later model engineering was fine (with the exception of maybe K-series transmission failures), it is just people tried to push later Honda Ds beyond what they were designed to be (commuter engines).

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Ive never heard A6 was the srongest, Always been told all the d16's before 96 were the same. A6 and Z6 are the same....cant tell me a6 is stronger. its the same?? otherwise where is proof that the highest hp is an A6. only way it can be true.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
500+ whp has been done on a A6 block with a Z6 head, way before 300-400 whp HMT builds were common place.

ZEX CRX I believe :) Dig DEEP into the archives and see what info Matt divulged.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
structural integrity is what the ? is
i guess regarding girdle composition. whats more prone to fail an alum. piece or a steel piece.?
its one of the things that prob doesnt matter since we cant make that power to know the difference.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,227 Posts
lets put ti this way, the same person who I mentioned above also had tranny issues with that power level. I've mentioned the issues. Took another member 6 months or longer to finally listen.

·
Registered
867 Posts
For most of you the alum. is fine. We made 586whp with the OEM gridle in our z6, estimated about 680 crank HP after some on-track tuning.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
So like i figured, its not stronger. any block will work. the steel of course is strong than alum....but its nothing thats needed, thats pretty obvious.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
2,915 Posts
lets put ti this way, the same person who I mentioned above also had tranny issues with that power level. I've mentioned the issues. Took another member 6 months or longer to finally listen.
Maybe people should stop looking at power levels and look at reliability and smoothness.
I'd venture a guess that smoothness is something Bone was hinting at.

I don't feel like digging through the archives though. I'm lazy. So, bone, does that mean that at higher power levels, the z6 girdle with flex just enough to cause premature bearing failures or other similar issues..?

If he actually answers, I bet its in the form of a question, or Bone Drunk Post. I'm excited either way, lol.

·
Registered
867 Posts
your crew and Matt (ZEXman) are special :)

Thanks,

We had the crank knife edged and took off 3 lbs. it was also balanced to within 3 grams. I deburred the OEM girdle. Brad at RLZ who made the head for Matt also did a ton more on the head for us. Ryan talked to Wiseco and came up with custom pistons. Our engine builder shimmed the oil pump for high pressure. Oil pressure was over 100psi most of the run.

The block, crank, rods and D2B kit are now in this car http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39756&start=300

I believe it's getting tuned next week by Tony1. It should make some good numbers. Still with the OEM girdle.

Smooth comes from the tune.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts