Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
The one on the side is used for the boost signal. If you have a boost controller then you use the top one. You should leave it open if you are not using it.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
not trying to threadjack, but my wastegate only has one vacuum input and its on the side........so what do i do about that? Its a turbonetics deltagate......heres a pic..

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
the little screw part in the top is where the boost controller part would go if i'm not mistaken
the one with a screw in it or the one without the screw in it?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
so what i need to do is buy a vacuum nipple that fits onto the empty whole on top and then run the boost controller to that one, while leaving the one on the side unplugged?

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
nah leave the one on the side hooked up also
does the one on the side just go to a vacuum source from the intake manifold, or even my vacuum manifold then?

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
instead of asking dumb questions you should maybe try and understand how it works...and why you would do anything...like own a car...lol
start basic...
sometimes i wonder if people who own a car deserve it...
nevermind something like a turbo...

now picture a diaphram...yes like the one your mom should have used...oops...
mistake #1...you dont know what a diaphram is do you...???
dont worry...neither does your mom...

sorry...i'm never really this much of an ass...i just felt like having a little fun...

inside the wastegate is a piece of rubber that surrounds the shaft connected to the actual gate plunger that controls the exhaust opening...
it seals to the outer housing...so when the shaft/gate moves there is still a seal...
the spring sits on top of the plunger in the top of the housing
so when exhaust pushes on the gate it pushes against the spring
easy enough right...???
now there is space above and below the rubber diaphram
above is the space housing the spring
below is just a space with a small hole for the shaft into the exhaust port
now if you held the wastegate in your hand and put your mouth on the side port and blow you would effectively be trying to open the gate
if you blow on the top you effectively are trying to keep it closed
now before we try and suck...lets just pause for a moment in revelation that you already do and are...
ok...done...
lets start sucking...(simulating vacuum)...
if you were to suck on the top you would be trying to open the gate
if you were to suck on the side you would be trying to close the gate

isn't it amazing...suck/blow...suck/blow...

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
instead of asking dumb questions you should maybe try and understand how it works...and why you would do anything...like own a car...lol
start basic...
sometimes i wonder if people who own a car deserve it...
nevermind something like a turbo...

now picture a diaphram...yes like the one your mom should have used...oops...
mistake #1...you dont know what a diaphram is do you...???
dont worry...neither does your mom...

sorry...i'm never really this much of an ass...i just felt like having a little fun...

inside the wastegate is a piece of rubber that surrounds the shaft connected to the actual gate plunger that controls the exhaust opening...
it seals to the outer housing...so when the shaft/gate moves there is still a seal...
the spring sits on top of the plunger in the top of the housing
so when exhaust pushes on the gate it pushes against the spring
easy enough right...???
now there is space above and below the rubber diaphram
above is the space housing the spring
below is just a space with a small hole for the shaft into the exhaust port
now if you held the wastegate in your hand and put your mouth on the side port and blow you would effectively be trying to open the gate
if you blow on the top you effectively are trying to keep it closed
now before we try and suck...lets just pause for a moment in revelation that you already do and are...
ok...done...
lets start sucking...(simulating vacuum)...
if you were to suck on the top you would be trying to open the gate
if you were to suck on the side you would be trying to close the gate

isn't it amazing...suck/blow...suck/blow...
wow, it never seems to amaze me how fucking stupid people can get sometimes........Your an asshole and you really dont even really deserve to be here...........(www.honda-tech.com). You obviously know your shit when it comes to turbos so i have to say, congratufuckinlations...........how about next time instead of being a dick, try and help someone out and use the forum like its supposed to be used.

I was asking a simple question and you were a total ass about it. WHY? Its people like you that make forums turn to shit......so seriously, get the hell out if your going to act like that. this is my FIRST time ever installing a turbo on ANYTHING, so if i have a question to ask, then i will ask it. I hope a mod sees this and bans your ass. Im 20 years old and this is the only car ive owned since i was 16.........youve gotta learn somehow.......but no, not you, your mom shit you out and you prolly knew everything huh?

But, thanks for giving me a detailed explanation of how a wastegate works..........a simple yes or no to my question would have sufficed just fine.........stupid dick.

**EDIT** GO PLAY IN TRAFFIC!!!

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
i was just kidding man...sorry....lol
i guess i'm too new to take that tone around here yet

a simple yes or no doesn't employ knowledge...

yeah my bad...
i'm thousands of posts deep...and you would never see another post like that from me...
ok maybe the one newb on this site asking if he could put a vtec head on his b7...
but thats it...across the whole internet...
just forget it dude...dont take it so serious...just joking
'now go get your shinebox' :p

so if you hook your manifold to the bottom/side then when you boost it opens it sooner...and when you are not spooled it is helping to hold it shut
if you hook the manifold to the top when you boost it helps to keep it shut...
the only time you really want to boost the top is if your internal gate is heavier than the external.
or if you have an advanced setup which switches the source to open the gate...

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
i was just kidding man...sorry....lol

a simple yes or no doesn't employ knowledge...

yeah my bad...
i'm thousands of posts deep...and you would never see another post like that from me...
ok maybe the one newb on this site asking if he could put a vtec head on his b7...
but thats it...across the whole internet...
just forget it dude...dont take it so serious...just joking
its cool man........just.....damn, i mean, what did you expect? Anyone would have reacted the same way i did!!!

I appreciate the answer you gave and everything, but ya gotta realize that you have to learn somehow and the best way to do it is to just tackle the project on your own and ask questions along the way so you make as few mistakes as possible.

The vacuum lines on the turbo setup is what is getting me (and the catch can, but i think i have that figured out), it seems like they never end. I thought that the one vacuum inlet that i had on my wastegate was suppposed to connect to the boost controller......comes to find out that i have to buy ANOTHER vacuum nipple and connect that to the wastegate and route the existing one to the vacuum from the manifold.......

can anyone tell me where the best place to pick up all of these vacuum fittings is?

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
cool cool...i reread it...and i surely do deserve to get banned...lol...
i'm an ass...i dont know how to have fun...

i saw bags of fittings at the zone for about $5...
i'm sure they are cheaper at a hardware store

i've been struggling too for the best way to actually use the external wastegate effectively...
the best/cheapest way i have come up with is to use multiple pcs (obd2 purge) valves electronically controlling the vac & boost sources to the top and bottom ports...
they would be switched open/closed by hobbs pressure switches...
this way i control when vac or boost is used on the top OR bottom ports at will...
the goal basically being that i could actually shut off the turbo with a 3lb (yellow) spring
then boost the top / vac the bottom and hold it closed and let the internal gate be my final limit

i posted this on hmt last year and got mixed replies

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
cool cool...i reread it...and i surely do deserve to get banned...lol...
i'm an ass...i dont know how to have fun...

i saw bags of fittings at the zone for about $5...
i'm sure they are cheaper at a hardware store

i've been struggling too for the best way to actually use the external wastegate effectively...
the best/cheapest way i have come up with is to use multiple pcs (obd2 purge) valves electronically controlling the vac & boost sources to the top and bottom ports...
they would be switched open/closed by hobbs pressure switches...
this way i control when vac or boost is used on the top OR bottom ports at will...
the goal basically being that i could actually shut off the turbo with a 3lb (yellow) spring
then boost the top / vac the bottom and hold it closed and let the internal gate be my final limit

i posted this on hmt last year and got mixed replies

my turbos not sporting an internal gate.........

so, just to double check........i should run the top of the wastegatet o boost controller and the side to vacuum and it will operate correctly?

thanks for the help

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
aint that the truth

d-series.org does not go over well with dickheads. we're all glad youre smart...just share it in a non sarcastic/demeaning way.

·
Banned
eh hatch
598 Posts
run the side/bottom to a boost controller...
and more importantly try to understand how it works...
the boost controller is not going to let pressure pass until it reaches the knob setting point...
so by using it on the side/bottom...boost is used to HELP push up on the diaphram/spring and open the gate at your set point

the diagram i put up is really for a turbo with an internal gate...or an advanced setup that can reverse the flows on demand...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts