Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most times my car pulls like crazy and burns the tires off in 2nd gear and 3rd the whole time above 4500 rpms. Other times it just pulls and not that hard, like the turbo isn't kicking in the whole way. Does this sound like a wastegate problem? Its weird, because it could be working great one minute, and the next time I try to get on it, it doesn't do what it's supposed to.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
i would check you manifold for cracks first thing.
also can you here your wastegate opening? is it hitting the boost that it should be?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Is it reaching you set boost pressure when its acting funny? Or overboosting?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
wow, the FIRST indication that you have a problem is FEEL.....

there are numereous things that could cause this. bov sticking open, leaking coupler sometimes, etc. my car felt like this right before the head gasket took a huge dump. it would hold sometimes creating plenty of power, the next pull i guess it would leak combustion (power) and it would feel like a dog. the most noticeable part was the transition. when its running well the car goes into boost pretty violently, when it wasnt it felt like a high powered N/A car because there was a very smooth transition, if that makes sense.

also i'm running a greddy type s knock off bov while playing with the settings i've noticed spool and overall performance changes considerably. removing the large spring the valve opens too easily (small spring not strong enough) even with the adjuster really tight, made boost come up very slowly too. put both springs in and left the adjuster pretty tight, maybe half way, boost comes on very quick but even with boost assist (bottom nipple) hooked up i got surge, loosening the adjuster took care of the surge but made the spool up alot slower. i'm going to pull the small spring today or tomorrow. i've noticed if you have it adjusted to where its just closed while at idle the car feels the best.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Like others are saying what does your boost gauge say? You say that it "feels" different here and there. Well when it "feels" strong and when it doesn't "feel" strong why don't you describe the weather. A boosted car will feel stronger in colder weather as the air is more dense. But I would check for boost leaks.

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
Yes, but there is other information that needs to be given before everyone starts throwing out guesses...which is all the OP is going to get until he does so.
If he signs back on here we'll need to know what kind of eBay mess is under his hood or maybe he has a quality kit :) Ecu etc etc

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, but there is other information that needs to be given before everyone starts throwing out guesses...which is all the OP is going to get until he does so.
true, i took it as you cant "feel" a difference when there is a potential problem... you have been boosted or are, so you know as well as anyone that boosted you will definately feel a slight drop in power compared to N/A where you wont notice slight changes in power.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a boost gauge yet. I have hondata s300. I have a slight manifold leak. I hope its not my head gasket. How can I tell if it us that? Leakdown test was good. It makes around 360hp. D16z6.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
i suggest one of two things......go cheap and pick up a sun-pro boost gauge or borrow a freinds, but i would go route two and buy a good one asap.....

things happen, and any performance build you need to keep an eye on alot of vitals.....even if you had it professionally tuned, i would never own a turbo car without- boost,oil pressure, water temp, wideband afr gauges......those are basically nessisary....you could skip the water temp but i can tell you how many times the needle on the dash was right in the middle and i saw the temps rising past 210ish, i dont trust the stock unit

·
Boost Gets You Laid
4,402 Posts
yeah because ebay is a brand or something.....
Just sayin' son, lots of off brand ebay crap in use these days and most of the ching chang meow doesn't function like a quality part would. He didn't exactly post his setup lol

That manifold leak could be your issue.

Some sort of boost gauge is better than none, also try to pick up a wideband. I've seen the hated AEM widebands starting out around $175 new

1 - 20 of 32 Posts