Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Tial wastegate the other day and it was used. I was looking at it and I noticed that there is a gap on the bottom of the wastegate, like in the pictures. Is it suppose to be a tight fit or is it okay to have a gap there. This is the first time I saw this, but also never really looked that hard before. Let me know if this is normal. Thanks.

·
Registered
88 hatch
789 Posts
It needs to touch to seal and work poprerly but won't the seat push up when you bolt it down causing it to seal? That's how my knock off tial worked.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
should seal when bolted to the manifold. Bolt it up and a light and shine it into the exit whole. Then look in the manifold for light. or fill it will water if your not worry about rust.
It it doesnt seal then the ring could either be wrapped or for 38mm while the gate is a 35mm

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
I don't think it would be a problem even if it did leak a little bit. You would just have to set it lower than what you would want it at, correct?
yea leaking wastegate would take longer to spool the turbo. The bigger the whole the longer it takes. Pin size hole probably fill with carbon within a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
an ej8 coupe
553 Posts
Looks perfectly fine to me. The valve only seals against the fire ring in the first pic. there will be a little clearance between the valve and the housing. Once the wastegate is bolted down it shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks guys. There wasn't any kind of gasket, and I will bolt it up and see if the gap goes away. I bought it from 93 red ls on here and he said it worked perfectly fine, so I assume it didn't cause him a problem.

+rep to all

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
once you bolt it down the firing ring with press furthur against the bottom of the gate....i didnt offer a gasket with the WG b/c i couldnt find it but just get one off egay and bolt it down! i used it on 2 turbo builds and a buddy i got it off of had itr on his car with 0 issues

lol if you want to send it back ill refund your money i have 3 pm's sitting on HT to sell it for 150

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
once you bolt it down the firing ring with press furthur against the bottom of the gate....i didnt offer a gasket with the WG b/c i couldnt find it but just get one off egay and bolt it down! i used it on 2 turbo builds and a buddy i got it off of had itr on his car with 0 issues

lol if you want to send it back ill refund your money i have 3 pm's sitting on HT to sell it for 150
Haha, no you aren't getting it back. Okay, I'm not mad or anything just curious because I never looked close at a wastegate before and saw that. Thanks again, I left you positive feedback by the way.

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
if you give me a day i can look in my garage and see if i have the gasket for it but i have a few boxes i got to look through and through my mess of a tool box....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
i dont even use a gasket on my WG's anymore. its good to use a gasket to keep heat away from the diaphragm but if the gasket blows out then the bolts come loose and thats way worse of a scenario

·
Registered
852 Posts
^same here, my gasket blew and I ended up with a big exhaust leak. My fire ring is almost flush with the bottom flange, but it's an ebay wastegate.

·
Registered
1991 Honda CRX
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you give me a day i can look in my garage and see if i have the gasket for it but i have a few boxes i got to look through and through my mess of a tool box....
That's okay man, you already gave me a good deal :bigok: I will probably just run no gasket with some gasket maker silicone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts