Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being i have a low hood clearance i have to run an elbow from the manifold over to the wastegate. At first i was using class 8.8 bolts(m8x1.25) to hold the elbow on the manifold and they kept breaking so i went up to class 10.9 bolts of the same size. After a few days they broke off as well. So out of frustration I drilled and tapped the manifold and flange to accommodate 7/16-14 Grade 8 bolts Now after 3 days they have broke.

Any ideas on what to do now? Or maybe even some bolts or studs that wont break after 3 days....

·
Registered
434 Posts
How is your wastegate pipe routed? Got a pic of the setup? Sounds like you have other problems than bolt strength. Quality Grade 8 bolts are good shit, chinese hardware is a different story.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i wanna see how yours look like i have a hood clearance problem too it made a crack on my hook with the cast iron mani and a tial replica wastegate.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I always ran an elbow (I think its still around somewhere), and never had an issue. One time I snapped one, and just started using longer bolts. Never had an issue again.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
i wanna see how yours look like i have a hood clearance problem too it made a crack on my hook with the cast iron mani and a tial replica wastegate.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
98 Civic CX-T on E85
1,797 Posts
How about afix a bracket from say the motor to that elbow to help brace it?
i agree, some kind of bracket coming off maybe the valve cover or head that bolts to the WG or elbow i think would help a lot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would i go about welding steel to cast iron? Could that be done with a flux core mig or would i need something different?

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
Do you run a dump tube? If not, just fab up a bracket that runs from one of the P/S or A/C bolt holes in the block onto one of the bolt holes of the WG exit flange.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up tig welding the elbow to the manifold and so far soo good. Now just to figure out why my car has a sudden leaning out when in boost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts