·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah

Birdshit welds

Ahaha
lol. If you wanna donate a better welder feel free :D
We do it all old school homemade turbo style here lol. It holds and is leak free so im good.

And thanx for the info. ill cut and weld the pipe there sometimes next wk.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The best thing is to route it into the outside of a bend. Think of the dump tube and downpipe coming together like a collector.
That being said, on a setup that isn't being highly optimized for racing, it doesn't really matter. It could come in at a 90 degree angle angle and still work okay.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do it. I have a buddy that has the same kind of setup. says it works very well for him. yes it'll kill flow but your not shooting for a high numbers either.
The best thing is to route it into the outside of a bend. Think of the dump tube and downpipe coming together like a collector.
That being said, on a setup that isn't being highly optimized for racing, it doesn't really matter. It could come in at a 90 degree angle angle and still work okay.
Yea i have some 90 deg pipes and plan to 90 it in. Not looking for more then 200hp so it should effect much right?

I got a few different pipes so i will see if i can put it on the outside of the bend.

Before you finish fabbing this... Will your hood close?
Yea
I need to cut into the webbing of the hood for the top of the wastegate or mil off a mm or so off the wastegate flange adapter. OR pony up and spend $30 for a low profile adapter flange. But thats ludicrous to spend extra money lol...

Either way the hood will close and all will work.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Seems a bit close to the turbo housing. I was talking to my tuner about open and welded in dump tubes the other day and he said You always want it open unless you cant deal with the noise. If you do have it welded it he said you want it 12"-18" away from the turbine discharge. Having it to close he said will cause turbulence witch will lead to back pressure and you don't really want that.

Just my 2 cents.. I love my open Dump :-D

I think you will be ok.. just make sure the angle going into the DP is a nice degree so its flowing with the exhaust and not fighting it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Is this manifold going in a truck??? Theres no way that wastegate is clearing the hood... youve tested it?

I highly suggest a 90 degree elbow to relocate the wastegate, it will make your life so much easier, and the dump routing alot simpler, and you could even buy an elbow that used a 38mm flange on one end, and a vband on the other. Make youre life easy

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Before you finish fabbing this... Will your hood close?
Is this manifold going in a truck??? Theres no way that wastegate is clearing the hood... youve tested it?

I highly suggest a 90 degree elbow to relocate the wastegate, it will make your life so much easier, and the dump routing alot simpler, and you could even buy an elbow that used a 38mm flange on one end, and a vband on the other. Make youre life easy
Yea hood closes just fine. Check my build thread round 2. I test fitted it at less 5 times. It's just barely kisses the hood inner webbing.
And putting a 90 on the manifold to wastegate would cause more problems. It comes off the turbo good I just wanted it routed back in before it got to the bottom part of my downpipe.

See it routes fine but my downpipe is 2 piece for easy install and I wanted the wg weld in for the second part.

edit*

I cant find the pix of my current wastegate but i had a 38mm on before that was 5.5inch tall flange to top.
MY v band wastegate plus the adapter is 5.20inch.

So as you can see it will clear and the hood will clear just find. On my v badn wg i just need to trim a little of the webbing.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I dont think people realize how much shorter the tial vband wastegates (and their clones) are compared to the old 2 bolt versions.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Seems a bit close to the turbo housing. I was talking to my tuner about open and welded in dump tubes the other day and he said You always want it open unless you cant deal with the noise. If you do have it welded it he said you want it 12"-18" away from the turbine discharge. Having it to close he said will cause turbulence witch will lead to back pressure and you don't really want that.

Just my 2 cents.. I love my open Dump :-D

I think you will be ok.. just make sure the angle going into the DP is a nice degree so its flowing with the exhaust and not fighting it.
ditto

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't done any work to it yet. Been tired and haven't had time.

But I am thinking I'll 90 it in after that v band o the bottom part of the downpipe.

I just know I can't do open dump. I had an exhaust leak before and it made the car sound like a truck and didn't like it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I had an open dump but it got annoying. I rather hear the blow off valve and turbo spool. plus I don't like the unwanted attention, I also run a quiet turbo muffler. my personal preference its to keep it stealthy and not obnoxious. its a daily driver and will never see the track so im not trying to squeeze every last bit of power out of it..

here is a before and after pic...

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
3,952 Posts
that's pretty as hell right there

1 - 20 of 54 Posts