Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a d16z6 block. I took it into class and measured the cylinder bore and I don't recall the exact numbers but the cylinders were oblong just enough to be out of spec. So I'm trying to decide if I would be better off sleeving it or just getting it bored or even just finding another block. I know I would like to get around 400hp out of this block eventually. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
75.5mm will take care of it all.. just dont bore it til you get the pistons.. some aren't the "same" exact size

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. Thats what i was leaning toward but around how much horsepower can a z6 cylinder wall handle.
Also, I almost may as well just buy another block for the money it would cost to get the cylinders all bored... Or atleast I think.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
400hp is the rough number than d-series blocks can hold without a block guard, so i think your safe. bore it 75.5 and then slap some oversized pistons in there.

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
good tune=happy engine, bore it and be done

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well on that engine I wouldl like to do a t3/t4 .50 trim on around 25lbs and maybe a 75 or so shot of nitrous... so I would almost rather spend the money to sleeve it if its pushin it.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
400hp is the rough number than d-series blocks can hold without a block guard, so i think your safe. bore it 75.5 and then slap some oversized pistons in there.

lol a block guard isnt gonna do shit... so what your saying is, that if you reach 400 hp and have no block guard it isnt reliable.

but if you go 400hp with a block guard its alot safer..? nah dude

if you replace block guard with the word aftermarket sleeves then that would make more sence

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
well on that engine I wouldl like to do a t3/t4 .50 trim on around 25lbs and maybe a 75 or so shot of nitrous... so I would almost rather spend the money to sleeve it if its pushin it.

lol good luck doing that

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
lol a block guard isnt gonna do shit... so what your saying is, that if you reach 400 hp and have no block guard it isnt reliable.

but if you go 400hp with a block guard its alot safer..? nah dude

if you replace block guard with the word aftermarket sleeves then that would make more sence
No im saying 400hp is about what the stock sleeves are good for without a block guard but with one you would be safer. Atleast it would keep the cylinders from walking, like block posting.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
No im saying 400hp is about what the stock sleeves are good for without a block guard but with one you would be safer. Atleast it would keep the cylinders from walking, like block posting.
not true, lock guards do more harm than good

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
how so? such as the GE block guard with the coolant passages bored out, will provide more than sufficient coolant flow not sure why it would cause an issue.
anything that sits in the coolant jacket will inhibit flow in some way

Joseph Davis said:
No open deck block is going to experience it's peak load where an extra brace at the top of the bore matters - if you look at the cyl wall butting against the headsurface in a mathematical light, a block guard isn't doing much more than blocking coolant flow. The sleeve is going to swell at it's weakest point that peak combustion pressures also occur - for a Honda this is 2-3 inches down the bore, way below where a blockguard reaches.

Now, there could be a (flawed) engine design out there where a block guard helps but I am not aware of it.

·
Registered
97 honda coupe
7,611 Posts
anything that sits in the coolant jacket will inhibit flow in some way
i see, then i would think block posting is the way to go. makes alot of sence why endyne uses block posting 3 inches down from the top of the cylinder instead at the top and blocks aboslutely no coolant flow.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So basically you guys are saying that I'm not even going to get close to 400hp with 25lbs from that turbo and nitrous..?

·
Registered
838 Posts
well on that engine I wouldl like to do a t3/t4 .50 trim on around 25lbs and maybe a 75 or so shot of nitrous

Seems to be the goal of alot of kids these days. Get your shit tuned on 25psi and have fun keeping it together if its a DD.. after that ask yourself if you want nitrous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts