Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have searched and searched trying to figure this out. car is a 94 Integra b18b. The car idles fine cold once up to temp i get a surge from 750-900 say.
I have went through the book checking voltages and resistance at every sensor and all where in spec. Continued on trying new ect sensor,iat,map, 3rd tb,3rd iacv, new 02 sensor,injectors, distributor has been checked along with spark plug wires,spare ecu. Changed vacuum lines, new pcv.

Ive bled the coolant and did the idle learn many times checked mechanical timing along with ignition timing, compression test is 180-185 cold and did a rad pressure test came out perfect.Does any one have any ideas of what next to try?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
surges when warm does not idle warm at a steady rpm. Ive sprayed and searched for vacuum leaks but could not find one only gasket left for me to replace is intake manifold and injectors o-rings. Im also getting normal fuel pressure and tried a new fuel filter just incase.

whats another method to search for vacuum leaks other then spraying carb cleaner all over the place?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im just going to replace the intake manifold gasket and hope thats it.

I also just noticed at tdc im getting decent slack on the belt between the cam gears, to the point i can move the exhaust cam just over half a tooth before the intake cam moves when i rotate via the crank bolt.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ive disconnected all the evap vacuum lines in a process of elimination to see if any of them were at fault.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Im just going to replace the intake manifold gasket and hope thats it.

I also just noticed at tdc im getting decent slack on the belt between the cam gears, to the point i can move the exhaust cam just over half a tooth before the intake cam moves when i rotate via the crank bolt.
That most definitely needs to be properly set and tensioned....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
took care of it tonight everything lined up just reset the tension on the belt and back to normal, so back to finding the idle issue

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
messed with it doing the idle set procedure and throttle cable is tight but not pulling on the butterfly

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright back with the update ended up finding a small coolant leak but it still didnt fix the idle issue.Next will be checking the valve lash and just maybe that might be it.

Has anyone ever had issues with a bad valve job causing and idle fluctuation?

·
Registered
650 Posts
messed with it doing the idle set procedure and throttle cable is tight but not pulling on the butterfly
You don't want the cable too be tight. If it's tight, and you don't have the proper deflection, that will increase your idle. And if you messed with the idle adj screw before you got the timing belt tensioned right, that may be the culprit.

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
That's not really that bad.

There's lots of adjustment on these cars:
valve
base idle and timing
sensative to engine timing
throttle cable

Things need cleaning over time, injectors, throttle body, filters, etc. tune up.

The most likely causes are a fitv or a vacum leak. a small problem like this your probably not going to see with carb clean. you need a smoke machince to properly rule it out, short of replacing everything.

coolant does need to be burbed but its pretty easy to do on these.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts