Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've had my little del sol now for a while now and have been thinking about turboing it, swapping it, etc. I've currently got a d15b7 and don't plan on keeping it in the car. From what I've read a d16y8 or z6 is my best option, and I am aiming for 250whp - 300whp and 8-8.5k rpm. I currently want to get a y8 with a GT2860RS, Crower stage 2 forced induction special cam + new springs lifters etc. for top end. That's about all I know. I need to know what type of internals I need other than nice rods/pistons. I also wanted to ask what type of intercooler/cooling system would fit in a del sol, (from what I've heard they are very similar to civics). I don't know things such as what piping and headers would fit, as well as what size throttle body/intake I need. Also not sure what type of tranny I need for it, and I want long gears. Also want to get a new ecu and I'm not sure which one I need, preferably one I can work on myself.
Let me know if I am making any mistakes with the parts I chose and with what I need.
I've been reading forums for weeks by now and I am still somewhat lost so I decided to make a post. All I really want is a 250 whp reliable daily. Thank you!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,707 Posts
cough more reading cough.

the info is there, hundred of thousands of times......have fun on your journey

Reactions: Elvis

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,707 Posts
if there is hundreds of build threads of people doing it and beyond.....nah, you dont have a snowballs chance

sarcasm was strong on the end. dont go away butthurt

• Haha
Reactions: Oldcivicjoe

·
Formerly weebeastie
1,771 Posts
You had me at:

Now to uncluster F everything else that you wrote. A d16y8 is a mistake. A d16z6 is the answer you're looking for. 8k-8.5k revs is a mistake. The answer you are looking for is 7500 or so. A GT2860RS is the best thing about your thread. It will reliably make 320-340whp and your engine will live a long time if you properly build it. But don't buy a cheap *********** meow turbo made of chinesium. Get something that is at least dynamically balanced. If you don't know where to source that, PM me, I have several sources. Next: Long gears in the transmission is a mistake. An Si transmission with a limited slip differential is the answer. Long gears are for horribly laggy turbos that suck. You will have an extremely efficient turbo that will stay in boost between shifts and matches the power band of the D series nearly perfectly. Something you neglected on this list that most Del Sol owners neglect is this. Suspension upgrades (specifically coil over shocks with properly weighted springs and bushings to stiffen up the suspension) and weight balance. You need to get the car sorted before you start making good power numbers, else its going to bounce around and break things.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You had me at:

Now to uncluster F everything else that you wrote. A d16y8 is a mistake. A d16z6 is the answer you're looking for. 8k-8.5k revs is a mistake. The answer you are looking for is 7500 or so. A GT2860RS is the best thing about your thread. It will reliably make 320-340whp and your engine will live a long time if you properly build it. But don't buy a cheap *** meow turbo made of chinesium. Get something that is at least dynamically balanced. If you don't know where to source that, PM me, I have several sources. Next: Long gears in the transmission is a mistake. An Si transmission with a limited slip differential is the answer. Long gears are for horribly laggy turbos that suck. You will have an extremely efficient turbo that will stay in boost between shifts and matches the power band of the D series nearly perfectly. Something you neglected on this list that most Del Sol owners neglect is this. Suspension upgrades (specifically coil over shocks with properly weighted springs and bushings to stiffen up the suspension) and weight balance. You need to get the car sorted before you start making good power numbers, else its going to bounce around and break things.
Mr Soul 2860RS Engineering nailed it on the head :LOL: FYI a skunk2 3 row half size rad is what I run with no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something you neglected on this list that most Del Sol owners neglect is this. Suspension upgrades (specifically coil over shocks with properly weighted springs and bushings to stiffen up the suspension) and weight balance.
You are right, I was planning on doing this first but that isn't for the D-series forum (I think). Also I can generally breath a bit easier because suspension isn't as important to get right. I don't mean its not important but there is more room for error, the brands and parts simply arent as vunerable as an engine (I think).
But why do you think that short gears are better? I don't plan on only using the car for the track but primarily for daily driving, so I want to get better mpg with the longer gears. I think that my car currently is already really short geared with 5th gear on the highway being around 3-4k rpm. Not sure how I would get around that, maybe just get a long 5th gear but keep the rest short? idk what do you think, and is that even possible?
Otherwise thank you for the suggestions and help, I am still looking for parts that would fit together so I'll contact you for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts