Honda D Series Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
96 civic
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer i will be rebuilding my d16y8 for turbo. i have already made a solid list of parts, most of which i have done research on or can probably find info. i expect everything i buy to be quality (do it right the first time).
I would like to focus this thread on the fuel pump. I have read many build threads where people have installed a Walbro 255 on their car. I have also heard some negative things about the Walbros, such as excessive noise or failing after a year of use. What your opinions on Walbro fuel pumps? and what would be the best quality pump (if money's not an issue)?
any thoughts would be appreciated

· Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
34,993 Posts
Walbro pumps are the best bang for your buck. Easy install, and work great. I haven't heard about many failures, however there are several Chinese companies that are making pumps and stamping the Walbro name on them. They aren't overly noisy, the only time you even hear it is when it primes, or if your fuel level is low you will hear it going around corners.

I've been running one for over a year and it's treated me well. No complaints.

· Registered
1,282 Posts
Walbro pumps are the best bang for your buck. Easy install, and work great. I haven't heard about many failures, however there are several Chinese companies that are making pumps and stamping the Walbro name on them. They aren't overly noisy, the only time you even hear it is when it primes, or if your fuel level is low you will hear it going around corners.

+1. Been running a 255lph Walbro for about 8 months. Only time you can really hear it like Ryan said is when it primes. It's the only company of after market pumps I'd trust in my car.

· Classic Man
Civic
23,667 Posts

all walbros are made in china. chances are the ones you are referring to are ones that didnt pass QA, but instead of getting tossed, they are sold to the next highest bidder and passed off as legit walbros.

the chinese do this quite often.

· Registered
478 Posts
I have always ran one. I had my last one for probably three and a half years with no problems. My brother ran them on his cars in the past. They are a great pump for the price.

· Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
34,993 Posts
all walbros are made in china. chances are the ones you are referring to are ones that didnt pass QA, but instead of getting tossed, they are sold to the next highest bidder and passed off as legit walbros.

the chinese do this quite often.
Could be, but there were threads talking about the knockoffs having plastic gears inside, not metal like the real deal.

· Classic Man
Civic
23,667 Posts
Could be, but there were threads talking about the knockoffs having plastic gears inside, not metal like the real deal.
oohhhh u got a link? should be a good read.

· Registered
2000 Honda Civic EX
569 Posts
Bought mine on ebay, been using it for about a year and a half, maybe slightly longer. Never had a problem with it. It's only slightly louder than the stock pump, I only hear it when it primes like everyone else has said. Makes it easier to diagnose a failure when you can hear it prime easily...

· Registered
92 cx
48 Posts
i got my walbro pump off ebay about 3 years ago maybe more and it has worked fine. don't know if is a crap one or the good one but it has worked. but i am not making any kind of power that i need this pump, i thought my old pump was bad so i replaced it with the walbro.

· Registered
Honda Civic
6,349 Posts
Been runiin mine for over a year now with no problems. I even did a writeup on the instal. You can't go wrong with the 255 by walbro.

· Registered
civic
2,557 Posts

exactly what i was going to say. be careful and make sure you buy a genuine walboro. One of my buddys has one in his turbo coupe pushing 400whp. hes been running the same setup for 4 years wight no problem out of it. dont go cheap like you said. do it right the first time and enjoy:bigok:

· Registered
96 civic
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well based on your responses i guess it's safe to say that the walbro fuel pump is good quality for the price. The problem is whether or not the walbro purchased is authentic or fake. If you guys could let me know where you bought your walbros i would appreciate it.

· Registered
'91 CRX Si
2,550 Posts
i was going to use a walbro as well since its what everyone uses, however..

i decided to go with a TREperformance fuel pump.

They fit almost identically to the walbro, but were designed to run quieter, and flow well at a wide pressure range.

got mine for $70

Honda CRX 255 LPH Fuel Pump - TREperformance.com

· Registered
865 Posts
Walbaro pumps are good quailty fps.. Ive been running one for about 3.5 years in my civic. About 8 years in my DA but i'll have to replace that soon the pressure doesnt rise as the rpms climb.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.