Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi D-series.org

I tried to get my project car running last weekend, it's been off the road for about 2.5years.

I cranked, the car would fire but would instantly pop fuse 14 and die (ECU/voltage reg/fuel pump is on that circuit). Replaced the fuse and primed the pump and the pump sounds like it's under heavy load (not high pitch whine like usual).

Disconnected the fuel pump and the car ran on the pressure in the fuel rail.

Checked the harness plug and the ground is good and the power signal to the pump is good.

The fuel pump bench tests fine. Plugged the pump back into the harness (but not submerged in the fuel) and it runs fine. It sounds like there's a blockage in the fuel system.

I disconnected the feed line into the fuel rail and the pump primes perfectly. Reattached and disconnected the line after the Aeromotive FPR and the pump sounds like it's struggling again. I've got a gauge on the FPR and it reads 40psi off the prime. I wind the adjuster all the way out, it reads 5psi. I prime again and the pump sounds much better, but still struggling.

The fuel return line is clear.

So it seems the motor doesn't like any kind of load condition... Is this a normal sign of a fkd fuel pump? I bought the pump new from summit in July 2014. Seems like a short period of time to die IMO, considering original pumps can last for decades.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to be getting an OEM pump to test to see if i can get the car running but i have to go to the wreckers for that. I just wanted to get some opinions first.

PFA

Thanks.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I can test the pump at work.

If you want to send it my way, I'll take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
I see no mention of fuel filter condition. Has that been checked?

Have you tested amperage draw on the pump? Has the pump wiring been up graded?

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can test the pump at work.

If you want to send it my way, I'll take a look at it.
Thanks for the offer, but i'm in Brisbane (Australia). The shipping would almost be the cost of a replacement pump haha. Out of interest, how would you test it? I guess i can measure the amp draw while it's priming... Is high amp draw and low torque output a sign of a bad motor?

I see no mention of fuel filter condition. Has that been checked?
I'm running an inline fuel filter which is before the rail, the pump primes fine through the fuel filter (only sounds bad pumping after the FPR) It appears the filter is not creating any flow resistance.

Have you tested amperage draw on the pump? Has the pump wiring been up graded?
No, but if it's blowing a 10amp fuse only after the car tries to run the additional things on that circuit (doesn't blow when just priming) it'd have to be under 10 amp, but not by much. The wiring is factory.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to add also, that i've run the car with the same fuel pump for over a year before pulling it off the road with no problems.

The only change to the fuel system is:

1) it's been sitting for 2.5 years
2) Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts
its been sitting? have you flushed the system? could be gummed up somewhere.
remove the return and blast some air through it.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put in an OEM EK fuel pump last night and it fired right up. :/

Looks like the walbro just didn't like sitting for so long. Tomorrow i'm going to try putting the Walbro back in and chuck it on a relay circuit and see if that makes a difference, if it doesn't i'll have to buy another one.

Unless anyone else has another fuel pump recommendation? Looks like there's a tonne of threads about Walbro's popping fuse 14.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What kind of fuel did you have in the tank? If it was a lead based fuel like c16 it will cause havoc on your fuel system guming up everything

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but i'm in Brisbane (Australia). The shipping would almost be the cost of a replacement pump haha. Out of interest, how would you test it? I guess i can measure the amp draw while it's priming... Is high amp draw and low torque output a sign of a bad motor?
We manufacture our own pumps. We have a test rig we built that allows us to monitor flow and amperage draw at pressures and voltages we set. I have a W255 benchmark that your pump's results would be measured against.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of fuel did you have in the tank? If it was a lead based fuel like c16 it will cause havoc on your fuel system guming up everything
I'm not sure how our fuel compares to US fuel, but i don't think Australia has sold leads based fuel since the early 90's

We manufacture our own pumps. We have a test rig we built that allows us to monitor flow and amperage draw at pressures and voltages we set. I have a W255 benchmark that your pump's results would be measured against.
Oh right that's neat, what company do you work for? Would you recommend their products?

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
I work for DeatschWerks. Of course I would recommend our products! I've been here 8 years and all of the fuel pump related kits and applications are my handy work. Along with most of the injector fitments and some new product lines we'll be releasing this year.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I work for DeatschWerks. Of course I would recommend our products! I've been here 8 years and all of the fuel pump related kits and applications are my handy work. Along with most of the injector fitments and some new product lines we'll be releasing this year.
Neat, a mate of mine is running a DeatschWerks pump and recommended it to me also.

Even better, I just checked and we have an Australian distributor.

Cheers,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts