Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like some real world advice...

my build requires an upgraded pump as i will be at the 300-350whp mark, so i was planning just to go the path most traveled with a walbro.... but...

i have heard from a couple freinds that the walbros are junk, known as the budget fuel pump....now i have heard of the problems with not working when it gets to a half tank or them quiting on people or the need to run new wires, etc....so...

how reliable are walbro 255's?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
They have been used in TONS of successful builds. As far as the new wires ect. It is always a good Idea to run a larger power wire and a relay setup. The last thing you need is the stock harness wires getting hot. How many of your friends have had a pump fail?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have used both the Walbro 190 and 255 and never had an issue. They can be a bit loud especially if you have a gutted interior. When I was running the 190 I just used my stock harness and not an issue, but when I switched over to a 255 I ran it directly to the alternator with a relay and never had an issue. To be on a the safe side, I always made sure I didn't go below a quarter tank. Fuel pumps use the gas to lubricate and cool themselves, since the Walbro's are high flowing pumps they will run hotter so if you always run the tank dry and burn up a Walbro or any fuel pump that's more into user error.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I have a 255lph on my NA setup currently and I've had no other problems except for the raised fuel pressure (now fixed). I don't like to let the fuel level get too kow though. It seems to eat up quite a bit of fuel the lower you let the level get. Its wired right into the stock harness just wonderfully. It is loud though and I have full interior. I can especially hear it standing behind the car when its running. I used mine as a stock replacement and because I'm gathering boost parts. I gotta say I've not heard of any Walbro horror storys. Sounds like your buddies are the types to spread rumors or something. Just sayin.

Been runnin mine for 2 years now. This help at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
yano thats a standard mistake is that just cause its aftermarket people have some sort of expectation to the fact it "shouldnt" fail nearly as fast as a factory "OE" part. infact it (aftermarket part of your choice) can fail just as quickly or easily as your "OE" part. it might not be AS common but it can very well still happen.

ive never had a walbro fail on me ive had them in 3-4 different cars, 2 mustangs both on a 200 shot of nitrous, my grand national that was 500+ hp and my current car (92 hatch on tons of boost) and ive had nothing but success and proper fuel delivery the fact of you having to add wiring or replace wires sounds like your car has a voltage problem (ie. electrical short, and/or resistance in wiring) so before you jump the gun know that the walbro is a quality part that is well made and if im not mistaken its still made in the USA but i might be wrong about that but it is most definatly a quality part.

my vote is to use the walbro pump. for 100-120 bucks its an excellent product. no need to spend more.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Like I said before the pumps are top notch. It is a good Idea to upgrade the wire, The pump draws more amperage than an OEM unit. Im not trying to start a pissing match about what works and what doesn't. This is just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Only problems I've personally seen is low-fuel issue, and I guess noise(even with full interior it was loud; though if you have a loud exhaust it probably won't be as noticeable). Never seen the pump itself fail.

·
Classic Man
16,355 Posts
they "stop working at half tank" if you use the walbro sock

use the OEM sock and u wont have any problems.

im running a walbro 255hp from go-autoworks.com and i made 450whp on it, with stock fuel rail, stock fuel pressure regulator, and stock fuel lines/filter.

it was probably good for more but i ran out of injector.

i ran my tank low ALL the time, less weight, right?

i was going to add a bosch inline this year, but i wont be making 700whp so i just went with a Walbro inline. so ill be running two walbros this year.

im not worried, neither should you!

i know for a fact greg @ go-autoworks sells legit Walbros. i know theres some talk about fake ones floating around so be careful where you buy yours...

edit; back a few years there was a lot of walbro bashing going on, and i went with a Bosch fuel pump in my ED. but ever since i gave the walbro a chance in my EJ6 ive been nothing but happy with the low cost and great performance

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet thanks guys...good to know to pick up an oem sock not the walbro....I will rep later when I'm not using my phone.lol

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
What about with the sock that comes with the "honda install kit"?

IIRC it was just about the same as my OEM one. Wish I'd taken a picture or something when I did it.

As for the FPR at idle issue, bone was probably talking about the high pressure pumps? The LP pumps probably aren't as bad.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Walbro HP 255 used on my 400+whp Civic build with stock wiring AND Walbro sock. Never had ANY issue with it, even with 2 gallons or less in the tank and WOT low-boost boosting...see vid :

Oh yeah, on E85 too boot at 58 fuel psi.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The only difference between the low pressure and high pressure units is that the high pressure pumps will flow a few gallons more at a certain psi than the low pressure pumps. They both have very similar flow rates at idle. I'll try to find the info from Walbro. So no, he was not talking about the high pressure pumps. Mine is a low pressure Walbro and ran super duper rich at idle. This is real world experience.

This is one of the links I found awhile back. I'm still lookin for the actual Walbro link but its the same info nonetheless.
RRE Instructions

To clarify what my post and this chart means: The high pressure unit will maintain a steady flow at pressures above 50psi where the low pressure unit's flow rate will drop off at those pressures.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The only difference between the low pressure and high pressure units is that the high pressure pumps will flow a few gallons more at a certain psi than the low pressure pumps. They both have very similar flow rates at idle. I'll try to find the info from Walbro. So no, he was not talking about the high pressure pumps. Mine is a low pressure Walbro and ran super duper rich at idle. This is real world experience.

This is one of the links I found awhile back. I'm still lookin for the actual Walbro link but its the same info nonetheless.
RRE Instructions

To clarify what my post and this chart means: The high pressure unit will maintain a steady flow at pressures above 50psi where the low pressure unit's flow rate will drop off at those pressures.
I agree, I have seen that chart somewhere a while back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
yea the walbro 255 is good stuff. ive been using mine for about 3 or 4 years now. daily driven and no issues. i used stock wiring and the walbro honda kit with sock. my eg is gutted and honestly u get used to it. the only time i even hear my fuel pump is it purges b4 startup. my exhaust drowns out the hummm after that. it a good product, and good on the pocket.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
had a 255 walbro in the DB1, with the walbro sock, no problems at all draining the tank. purchased straight from them.

The high pressure unit will maintain a steady flow at pressures above 50psi where the low pressure unit's flow rate will drop off at those pressures.
can anyone say psi drop off when boosting more then 10 psi?

i know theres some talk about fake ones floating around so be careful where you buy yours...
not talk, its legit info. the fake ones have plastic gears and are distinctly quieter. real ones are all metal and loud as fuck. plus the price is a steady amount from any of the walbro dealers. i wouldnt buy from anyone not specifically listed as a walbro dealer on their site. nothing against greg or xenocron, as they both "sell them"...

side note for danz: have you looked at these two pumps?

Xenocron Tuning Solutions: Aeromotive 11142 - 340lph Stealth Fuel Pump

Deatschwerks 300+ LPH High Flow In-Tank Fuel Pump

1 - 20 of 27 Posts