Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well ive been tracking down an oil leak that i had ever since i got the car. First it was the oil pan right by the transmission. Got me thinking it was the rear main seal. It wasnt it was just the pan gasket.

So fixed that and cleaned everything up. Now i got an oil leak by the crank pulley. Im guessing oil pump seal or cam seal. Took the top timing belt cover off and there is a dip on the cam seal. Cleaned everything up ran the car and it doesnt look like the oil pump looks more like the cam seal but cant tell till i can get some time to tear down that side. BUT it does have fresh oil on top and looks like it leaks down. So cam seal im guessing.

So i cleaned the whole motor. (months ago) So no i looked and there is oil on the top trans case. Thought it was dizzy oring nope, valve cover gasket. Sealed it, but still got oil on trans case. Looked all around. Damn vtec.

Old owner had some sealant on it so i thought i could clean it up and reinstall. Well big problem the damn gasket was trashed. I mind it was missing parts and looks like the guy before me just tryed to make a gasket out of sealant.

So my question is.....

Where can i find a vtec gasket on Sunday?
honda part number 15825-P2M-005 Id love to get it today. Dealers are closed. So am i screwed till Monday?

Also how does the vtec work? Not the valve but the solenoid. There is four chambers. I know 1 is for pressure switch, 1 for input i guess and 1 for output. So whats the 4th?

And since my gasket has been f'd up im guessing my vtec wasnt work? (who would know :p). The gasket only covered the outside it didnt keep each chamber to itself. So i unplugged the solenoid till i get the gasket.

thanks for reading. Also anyone in dallas that has a gasket they wanna sell me?

·
I also have a cool title
3,124 Posts
Pretty sure you are stuck till tomorrow. Vtec was running if you passed the oil pressure, rpm, temperature, speed, and CEL checks. You can run the car, just dont hit vtec or there will be problems.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure you are stuck till tomorrow. Vtec was running if you passed the oil pressure, rpm, temperature, speed, and CEL checks. You can run the car, just dont hit vtec or there will be problems.
The gasket was pretty much gone it just had the sides. The filter screen wasnt even there. Seems like the guy before took it off and it felt apart and he said o well ill use some sealant and it will be all good.
So that means all the chambers were connected all the time. Which i know probably caused a problem.
I unplugged the wring for now. I hope the dealer i go to has it in stock.
Well go over everything after i install it.

Sucks that no place is open on sunday but i guess. They gotta have a break to right

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUMP update.

well I got the gasket today. Installed it and wow i got like 50hp more... lol

nah but, it does feel better up top. Im guessing since it basically didn't have a gasket that it was dropping oil pressure to vtec.

And Honda sucks ass $27.13 for the gasket.
If i wasnt tired of adding oil to the car every other day then i would of ordered it from ebay $15 shipped.

Moral of the story dont trust anyone. Always go over your cars after you buy them. This has been leaking for about 8months now. Ive been tracking it down for that long :p i know took to damn long to traces down but i just fig. it was the cam/crank seal.

Hopefully i dont lose as much oil as before.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump for update.
Well ive been looking around and found a few more guys with my problem.

Changed the dizzy oring and vtec gasket and still have a leak.
turns out it could be upper vtec gasket. Well picked one up today and installed it. Will report back later to let you guys and girls know if it still leaks.

Link to thread/diy i found.Vtec Gaskets Now With Pics!

Park number is 36172-po8-015 (cost me $11.25) will not show up for y8 motors but its the same as the z6.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are you the one on ej8squad that did the powder trick and though it was your headgasket?:eek:
Yep thought it was the headgasket because i had a friend whos leaked right there and was a HG.
So after reading that thread started to believe it was more something with the vtec again so powered it. and behold it seems to be the top gasket. When i removed it it was all flat, hard and dirty. Put the new on one and about 40miles later no leak but will keep checking on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts