Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Civic d17a2

OK so I sold my car but it was to a good friend and I honestly think after cleaning it up a few times and looking that the head gasket itself isn't leaking but the Vtec solenoid is leaking, not from the gasket mounting it to the head but from the solenoid itself somewhere. Is that possible? If so can it be repaired instead of shelling out a few hundo to the Honda dealer? Or does anyone have a spare left over from a stroker build?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,024 Posts
just an o-ring from Honda. simple fix. replace both whilst there

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
There's two gaskets on the VTEC solenoid, I swear the last time I got the big gasket (10 in the picture) it came with both ... but I could be wrong.

There's another gasket that goes in between the top and bottom halves. I'll see if I can find a part # for you.

(#21 might also be a gasket?)

Ninja Edit: Bingo - Also I guess there are three ... I was thinking of the one that was on my Z6 head.

·
5,024 Posts
21 is for the pressure switch

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
you can buy a small "spool" of DIY o-ring "tubing"

then you cut it to shape, and I would sue black weatherstrip adhesive and glue it in place.

honda used to have a part number for a lot of the small bits, but over the years removed them.

an example of this is when you want to buy certain distributor or throttlebody parts. honda wants the entire assembly purchased.

I vote buying a used one off ebay. for the 1.7's they can be pretty darn cheap, search ebay for 01-05 civic valve and check the used box. many salvage yards use spool valve as a description as honda uses that on many.

·
5,024 Posts

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
that is kickass that honda used the same top seals 96-05

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
5,024 Posts
someone should see if theyre the same 92-xx

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Curious why the top o-ring isn't listed on the parts diagram for his engine
I found this in searching so my hopes are up a little.

2001 Civic EX unexplainable oil leak - Honda-Tech
<bradlrob>
This o-ring listed for older years civics and other Hondas 36172-P08-015 will work on the d17 upper vtec solenoid gasket. Bought and installed and worked. Honda was trying to sell me the complete solenoid because they do not carry a o-ring gasket for 2001-2005 civic

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
The D17, D16Y*, 94+ Z6 and 95-01 Prelude use the same top gasket PN# 36172-P08-015

1 - 15 of 15 Posts