Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I'm having this never-ending leaking from my D17A2 vtec solenoid switch, the picture below will show exactly what I'm talking about. I bought oring from the dealer and use RTV but it only stop for a day or two and start leaking again. I sure its not the gasket that between the vtec and the head or the one at the top. I took picture before i wipe the oil away and it shows the oil leaking from that switch at the side and spray on the coolant hose that runs just beside it. Any ideas what next to do? I dont want to buy a whole vtec solenoid to stop this leaking.
Product Auto part Brass Nozzle

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
take the o-ring off, Teflon paste it CAREFULLY to not get any on the oil passage. torque to spec.

are you sure its not leaking from the vtec screen o ring that's above it?

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the spec for that specific oil switch? I tightened it real good but it still some how.. No, the O-ring on top not leaking.i replaced the top O-ring along with the vtec solenoid screen at once so its not the top ring.

·
5,289 Posts
valve 8.7
switch 16

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you saying that the whole vtec solenoid is 8.7? Also someone mentioned something about teflon paste so i just bought this thread sealant because i dont see the teflon paste itself. I hope it works.

·
5,289 Posts
yes. the bolts holding the whole assembly 8.7ft/lbs

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Make sure you did not simply crush the Oring and cause it to "ripple" and leak. Treat it like a spark plug. grab the socket in hand, tighten by hand, and then only go a little further with a wrench, if you DONT have a torque wrench.

Way too easy to crack those on the thread sif you overtighten them as well. Pay attention to Slo's torque specs above. its literally JUST past hand tight.

I recommend keeping the threads clean, no sealant. That is what the darn O ring is for!!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
If it still leaks, you need to repalce that switch. Find literally ANY honda/acura in a junkyard that has vtec from 80s, 90s, and 00s

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok.. It seem to me that it is leaking between the white plastic area which supposed to be the sensor and the metal part that screw in the side of the vtec solenoid. Look my picture to see where the oil poring from .

·
5,289 Posts
sensor shit the bed. get another

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Yup, sensor body broke. You need a new one.

I was gonna reply to this a couple days ago to see if we could get a video of where oil was leaking to confirm this, looks like you figured it out.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Your "seal job" is not going to last. once its cracked at the adhesive of plastic to metal, it will work its way around. REPLACE IT. Most junkyards will hand those over for free if you buy something reasonable that gets them some money. Use the excuse to go, and stock up on factory hardware. I always leave a junkyard with one of my toolbags plum full of chassis and brake bolts.

Reactions: slo_eg8
1 - 12 of 12 Posts