Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is the deal. I have a super race ported Z6 head. Im looking to get a custom cam made for it. The only problem is, I dont know jack shit about cams. Im not going to lie, or make up storys. I dont know jack about them. I have a friend that works at a machine shop looking into for me, but he isnt a honda guy. Im going to try and get a vtec killer cam made for my sohc. What are somethings I would need to look into? I know there are some smart people on this site and I would very much appreciate yalls imput on this. Manily Im just looking for idea's, theories, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
well You could just use the two outside rockers on the intake side and put a spacer in for the Large center rocker.

OR

Maybe you could swap over the Y7 rocker assembly, that way you reduce replicating weight and at that point you can use a trick Y7 cam that is already made. I can't promise anything will work but why not try it!

on a side note. WHY get rid of VTEC? It allows drivability and power all in the same motor.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
www.camshaftinnovations.com

Jay Allen has forgot more about cams then most people on here know. He is going to develop a non-vtec cam for the guy I am building a 4bbl carb intake for.

He told me before he started, if he could find a company that makes cores it wouldn't be a problem. And I know COMP has z6 cores . . .

·
Registered
255 Posts
i dunno about sohc but in dohc engines they do have a vtec killer cam which has mega lift and duration and overlap but its very rough in low end but when its racing who needs low end speed...basically vtec all year around..

but i dont c the difference between that and a stage 3 cam on sohc.. so u mite as well just get a stage 3 cam or get ur own cam ground...

·
Registered
See above...
13,322 Posts
So is this car for race only? or DD? If race only then how about the retail available stage III Crower?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Crower Stage 3 is really "only" a hot street cam, good for DD IMO. If building for a maximum effort race engine, I would probably look for something hotter, actually it's been on my mind to regrind my Crower cam, for more duration(in/ex), probably getting those duration figures somewhat closer each other, and making pri/sec cams differ from each other to create some swirl at cruise/highway.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ok this is the deal. I have a super race ported Z6 head. Im looking to get a custom cam made for it. The only problem is, I dont know jack shit about cams. Im not going to lie, or make up storys. I dont know jack about them. I have a friend that works at a machine shop looking into for me, but he isnt a honda guy. Im going to try and get a vtec killer cam made for my sohc. What are somethings I would need to look into? I know there are some smart people on this site and I would very much appreciate yalls imput on this. Manily Im just looking for idea's, theories, etc etc etc.
may i ask why you want to eliminate vtec?

also,
what is the fuel your using, what is the application, the rest of the combination and if you know what does the head flow?

thanks
m.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is going to be a full out race motor. The head flowed 310. We had to weld up some holes after the port but we got it to work. This is going to be a dual carb setup most likely. I had it on a 600 cfm dirt track carb before the super port job went down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Crower Stage 3 is really "only" a hot street cam, good for DD IMO. If building for a maximum effort race engine, I would probably look for something hotter, actually it's been on my mind to regrind my Crower cam, for more duration(in/ex), probably getting those duration figures somewhat closer each other, and making pri/sec cams differ from each other to create some swirl at cruise/highway.
I know a guy here in memphis that had that done he said it made a helluva a difference. I ran crowers in my b series and thought they were ok but then I switched over to Skunk2's and made really good power with out having to tune the engine much from its stock set-up.

Alot of people have been telling me delta cams has a good camshaft for the d-series. I am currently checking them out for my girls car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get the head flowed and give the numbers to a cam manufacter. They can build you a cam that will 'work' with the flow numbers the head will give.... This is the ONLY real way you can get a cam that is matched to your specific ported head. An off the shelf cam is not going to give you the full potential from a custom ported head.

Jason

·
Registered
407 Posts
not trying to badger, but i still dont understand the exact goal for vtec diableing?

also,
what is the fuel your using, what is the application( what sort of racing) , the rest of the combination?

by chance do you ahve any pics of the headwork? at what lift was that measured? what valve size are you using?

thanks
m.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
not trying to badger, but i still dont understand the exact goal for vtec diableing?
He wants ALL power, ALL the time.

If, while racing, the car keeps going into and out of VTEC through twisties, he's losing tenths of seconds every lap.

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
better off building a non vtec head...with the biggest cam u can find and port job....then u dont have to worry about "Vtak" yo!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
He wants ALL power, ALL the time.

If, while racing, the car keeps going into and out of VTEC through twisties, he's losing tenths of seconds every lap.
right, but he doesn't understand cams, and you don't either. A motor always in vtec will make less power in the lower rpm then if its in its non vtec profile. Engine characteristics and needs change based on rpm. 1 cam profile is better at 3K rpm, but useless at 7K.

My crower 2 vtec doesn't make more power then the non vtec lobes until it hits 5800 rpm. Know how we figured that out? we ran non vtec to red line, and then we applied vtec from an early rpm. once the vtec lobes make more power then the non vtec lobes (where the curves cross), thats where we set the engagement. Before that, vtec loses power over the non vtec lobes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
right, but he doesn't understand cams, and you don't either. A motor always in vtec will make less power in the lower rpm then if its in its non vtec profile. Engine characteristics and needs change based on rpm. 1 cam profile is better at 3K rpm, but useless at 7K.

My crower 2 vtec doesn't make more power then the non vtec lobes until it hits 5800 rpm. Know how we figured that out? we ran non vtec to red line, and then we applied vtec from an early rpm. once the vtec lobes make more power then the non vtec lobes (where the curves cross), thats where we set the engagement. Before that, vtec loses power over the non vtec lobes.
What if he were to just go with a non-vtec head in the first place and have a REAL big cam made?

·
Registered
88 ED6
5,511 Posts
Just go with Y7 rocker swap and cam if it'll fit. This reduces valvetrain weight since you're doing away with unused rockers and cam lobes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
how do u run without vtec ??

and how do u lock vtec in ?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
sell the current head, get an a6 head, have it ported and get an aftermarket non vtec cam grind... simple..

all the work needed to do such, and it wud just end up being like a non vtec,

locking vtec? maybe the rockers and all are heavy enough,adding washers and what not to stay "IN" vtec?
i see going non vtec being an upperhand since they have lighter assemblies,

myt be sumthing worth it if ur goal is all out race engine..

IMO

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah, sell it, and get Bisimoto valvetrain parts and Level X (or Level 3, if X is too much) cam.. Endyn should be able to supply proper pistons, Crower lightweight rods and very big valves. Here it starts 8)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts