Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I have an issue figuring out the wiring for vtec on my 1992dx with a d16y8 swap. I am running p28ecu obd1, and have put all obd1 accessories onto the y8 engine including manifold, alternator, dizzy, ect. The y8 vtec solenoid is only obd2 electrical I have left. I know that on my model civic two wires needed for obd1 vtec are per wired to shock tower. The wiring info from here to the y8 solenoid would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot whoshot. I have read this forum. But he does question wether the y8 has a pressure switch and this is where I get confused because as far as I know there is a pressure switch?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I thought that power has to pass through the pressure sensor to engage power to the solenoid. This is where the jumper comes in? But would that not keep the solenoid always engaged if my obd1 p28 thinks it has pressure??

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes another useful article but the vtec wiring again is vague. Is there any vets out there who did this swap and can give me some details:)?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
for some reason your posting is confusing.

the vtec works the same for obd1 and obd2.

there is a pressure switch which is a 2 pin wire. That can be loop which would ground it out.

which out the pressure switch vtec doesn turn on.
on obd2 ecu the ecu throws a check engine light.

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
This diagram helped me when I connected vtec to my chassis. I went straight to the ECU, not the shock tower. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a d16z6 and a y8 looking at them both side by side they are different can you tell me why? Sorry if I'm confusing you I am confused and frustrated with this issue!:p and also tell me where I'm losing you and I can elaborate:)

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Some (jdm) motors don't have a VTec pressure switch.

Like said above obd1 and obd2 VTec works the same,only thing different is the pin out on the ecu.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well thanks very much for the quick responses and help! I think the root of my issue is a bad solenoid and maybe I had this damn thing wired right the first time. I am searching out a new solenoid as we speak and I will post on this thread as soon as I get a replacement and let y'all know how I made out and maybe help any others doing this swap. Thanks again guys!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok well thanks very much for the quick responses and help! I think the root of my issue is a bad solenoid and maybe I had this damn thing wired right the first time. I am searching out a new solenoid as we speak and I will post on this thread as soon as I get a replacement and let y'all know how I made out and maybe help any others doing this swap. Thanks again guys!:)
Did u fix this problem.. I'm doing the y8 swap in a 93 eg.. All swapped in but can't get it to start.. I'm using obd1 harness.. B7 dizzy internals on y8.. Wired the injectors and alternator.. The motor came out a beautifully running car.. Idk what to do

1 - 14 of 14 Posts