Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wats up...quick noobie question for my friend which i wasnt sure about cuz i dont even have a 7th gen [email protected] what rpm does vtec kick in a 02 ex civic

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
^^its earlier than that...it is somewhere within the 2500-3500 RPM range, it all depends on how much throttle you are using...remember that the ex vtec is really vtec-e...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
isnt the only vtec e the hx.....and damn thats pretty early for vtec to kick in

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup pretty good info...learn sumthing new everyday....is that info from hondata btw

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
that was very interesting to read. i learned much about the VTEC system i didnt know

·
Registered
287 Posts
Vtec-e makes your new EX engine idle with one intake valve i believe...then when the VTEC kicks in **oh boy** it opens both and you are operating at normal capacity instead of super econo mode.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Skcivic said:
Vtec-e makes your new EX engine idle with one intake valve i believe...then when the VTEC kicks in **oh boy** it opens both and you are operating at normal capacity instead of super econo mode.
everything is true. it have only two cam lobes for the intake valves. the low cam lift is practically none.

·
Registered
397 Posts
jimmyb34 said:
the si doesnt have "vtec-e" so to say, it just doesnt have it on intake and exhaust... but it still is gay lol
I think the ep3 is vtec-e. it just have two lobes on the intake cam...

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
it isnt vtec e, it only has 1 cam with vtec... that doesnt mkake it vtec e or every sohc motor would be vtec e
imo its gaytec... they are retarded for even coming out with that motor, they wonder why they didnt sell any ep3's fucking morons

·
Registered
251 Posts
This system does not really conform to the "DOHC i-VTEC" nomenclature, as Honda would like us to believe. As I mentioned in my previous post, it actually should be called "i-VTEC-E," because it uses a VTEC-E mechanism rather than a standard VTEC mechanism. At low RPM, the VTEC-E system effectively forces the engine to operate as a 12-valve engine - one of the intake valves does not open fully, thus decreasing fuel consumption. At 2200RPM, the VTEC-E system engages the 2nd intake valve, effectively resuming operation as a normal 16-valve engine. There are no high-RPM performance cam profiles; this engine is tuned to balance fuel economy and power, rather than provide pure performance. On the intake cam, there is the VTC mechanism which basically is an automatic self-adjusting cam gear used to continuously optimize the valve overlap for all RPM ranges. This being a VTEC-E system - and not a true DOHC VTEC system - is the reason the K20A3 redlines at a measly 6800RPM, while the K20A2 is able to rev all the way to 7900RPM.
Quote from previous post.

·
Registered
509 Posts
let me try. not every sohc vtec engine is vtec e. heres why. a sohc vtec II engine has 5 lobes on the cam for each cyl. . one for each exhaust , one for each intake , and the middle lobe is VTEC lobe which both intakes ride on when they lock on the center rocker. for your vtec e engie , theres only 4 lobes on the cam for each cyl.. 2 exhaust(one for each valve) , and one intake valve rides on the VTEC lobe all the time , and the other rides on an almost round profile lobe. when vtec kicks in(like was said before any time throttle is full after 2500 rpms) , the rocker riding on the little lobe locks on the rocker that rides on the VTEC lobe all the time. and for whoever said no VTEC on the exhaust side , thats exactly right. no SOHC engines have VTEC on thier exhaust valves. cause of the spark plug tube design which takes up the room needed . all DOHC engines have VTEC on intake and exhaust sides of course.
and i must say im dissapointed when buying one myself and learning this that they in a way misinform the public in advertising this. cause in my opinion its not vtec at all its vtec technology used for pussyfooting. they advertise it as a sports car and it just aint so. only looks like one.
and to tobias , about saying all 7th gen are vtec e , your wrong bud. D16W8 is VTEC II engine(same as Y8).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts