Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Just got my turbo bolted up and running so thought i would share it with you all the idea behind it has been to try to have high mpgs and plenty of power on demand.
i like pictures so here we go..

this turbo turned out to be shot so replaced it with a garret t3 i got for a good price

Dyno from before NA an tuned by me could be better

i will be going to get this setup tuned propperly soon need to get some injectors first

Is it normal to loose 1.7psi through an intercooler of this size my wastgate is at 7.9psi and granted it will start to open before this pressure but on the ecu i only recording a peak of 6.2psi is this normal or does it sound have a boost leak somewhere?

this is my spare d16y7 block thats waiting for the fjt vitara combo

·
Registered
431 Posts
pressure drop seems normal

if you want to accomplish your boost drop - just take the source of your wastegate
pressure from somewhere after the intercooler. just do not take it from
behind the throttle body.

nice pics, nice car. missing dyno [email protected] psi ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks i willl try moving the pressure source over see how it goes
planning on getting it on the dyno it once ive got the uprated injectors in and tweaked the maps accordingly

yeah the manifold is an ebay one blurr twisted ram i won it for £70 taking a punt so if it lasts 6 months i will be happy.
few other parts have be brought from ebay wastegate and bov, the intercooler came from a friend just wouldnt fit on his car allong with a few bits of piping
this has all been done on quite a budget

the engine has had some alterations the bottom end is a d15z3 as far as i can tell identical to the z1 the codes seem to be differnt in the uk
i have mini me'd it of sorts the intake and head is from the more powerfull vtec-e engine d15z6 the only difrences being larger ports and valves and the higher flowing oem intake manifold

im acually really amazed at how well its all working making 6psi by 3500rpm

ideas for the next stage of this build are

increasing the valve size on the secondary valves (not the ones used in 12valve mode) on the intake side to increase flow at high rpms

water/meth injection to improve fuel economy at low rpm & to run more boost at high rpm

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've never been a fan of e-vtec setups. Not trying to bash, grats to you for trying it. I had a friend do it with a ebay kit and some cheezy turbo and ran 18lb to his, only made 203whp. Tuned by SpeedFactory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there is 2 reason being the mot inspection places dont take kindly to open dump pipes here and seeing at its on the turbo already this way i can pull the pipe off the external and jam it on the internal one and say it was just blocking the hole up well thats the idea passed last time like it

·
Registered
802 Posts
there is 2 reason being the mot inspection places dont take kindly to open dump pipes here and seeing at its on the turbo already this way i can pull the pipe off the external and jam it on the internal one and say it was just blocking the hole up well thats the idea passed last time like it
route it back into the downpipe. unless this is a somewhat budget build

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i lol'd too when i saw that
:biggrin:
route it back into the downpipe. unless this is a somewhat budget build
yes, or use this, since you probably won't be running that much b00st.
35MM|38MM Turbo Wastegate Blockoff Plate Block Off | eBay

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i like the open vent it sounds great! the internal gates just a once a year thing and i can switch it back after the mot inspection. cheers for the offer though finnish ek racer

i take it would be best to only have the one gate on there? looking at the picture above i could just wind a longer stud into where it says m4 on the casting and block the internal gate up by holding the flapper shut

·
Formerly 95RedVXCivic
862 Posts
nice, i love the eco vtak love!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since you seem to have all the tools readily available why not see what you can do about squeezing all the mpgeez you can out this thing??

Read once of a guy with a 400whp D16Z6 tuning his car for 65mpg...

Your setup has the ability to do much better.. Ive always wanted to do this personally.. Run low boost kinda like saab does and let the lean burn do its thing...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts