Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello been looking for an answer for a week now and i have not found one.

Is the d15z8 engine 3 stage or just vtec-e

I got saw some old posts with different answers.

If its not 3 stage is it worth doing it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's VTEC-E.

The only 3-stage engine that I'm aware of is the D15B.

I can't answer your last question because I have no idea what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last question is more like worth the upgrade to some performence when i need it and vtec-e when i do some eco driving. but im aware that it's VTEC-E but as i said people say it has 3 stage some do not

·
Registered
138 Posts
As I said, the only engine that has 3-stage VTEC that I'm aware of is the D15B. Last I checked, the D15Z8 is not a D15B.

If you have a D15Z8 now and are wondering if you should upgrade, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
'91 CRX DX, D15B (D15Z7), DX L3
60 Posts
The 3-stage VTEC D15B is also known as the D15Z7 in other markets. Poland for instance, which is the only service manual I've found on the net that covers that engine.

The high performance cam only covers 6k to redline, which is just a blip unless you're in 3rd or 4th gears. It's really engineered for the CVT that it was paired with - floor it and the engine revs up to 7k and howls away there while the CVT winds out the gear ratio to keep the RPM steady while accelerating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did some testing in 2nd gear when i posted this thread to make sure, idk at 4500-5500 rpm i feel the rpm rise quicker and i belive the sound changes, so i belive it is vtec?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Possibly. Does it have the solenoid valve on the left rear of the cylinder head?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes it does have the solenoid when i watch youtube and refer to my engine bay but i can still be wrong i'll have to take a check tomorrow

·
Registered
138 Posts
D15Z7[edit]
  • 3-stage VTEC
  • Found in:
    • 1996–1999 Honda Civic VTi EK3 and Ferio Vi
      • Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Piston Code: P2J
      • Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 84.5 mm (2.95 in × 3.33 in)
      • Rod Length : 137 mm
      • Rod/Stroke : 1.62
      • Compression : 9.6:1
      • Power : 128 hp (95.4 kW, 130 ps) at 7000 rpm
      • Torque : 102 lb·ft (14.2 kg/m, 139 Nm) at 5300 rpm
      • Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC (3-4 valves per cylinder, depending on engine speed)
      • VTEC Switchover : 2800 and 5800 rpm
      • Fuel Control : OBD-2 MPFI
      • ECU Code : P2J
      • Manual Transmission ECU Codes : P2J-003 (OBD2a), P2J-J11 (OBD2b)
      • CVT Transmission ECU Codes : P2J-J61 (OBD2a), P2J-J71 (OBD2b)
      • Lean burn capable.
D15Z8[edit]
  • VTEC-E
  • Found in:
    • 1997–2000 Honda Civic LS (MB3, MB9), (European Market)
      • Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
      • Bore and Stroke : 75 mm × 84.5 mm (2.95 in × 3.33 in)
      • Rod Length : 137 mm
      • Deck Height : 207 mm
      • Compression : 9.6:1
      • Power : 114 hp (85.0 kW, 116 ps) at 6500 rpm
      • Torque : 95–99 lb·ft (13–14 kg/m, 128-134 Nm) :confirm? at 4500 rpm
      • Head Code : P2J P2M
      • ECU Code : P9L
      • VTEC Switchover : 4000 rpm
      • Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC-E, 4 valves per cylinder

·
Registered
60 Posts
Center of your first pic is the VTEC solenoid. Since there's one metal can, it's a 2-stage engine. Either VTEC or VTEC-E. Center of your second pic is the thermostat housing, with the radiator fan switch sticking off the bottom left. Along the top of your pic, you have the edge of the throttle body on the extreme left, EGR valve on the middle-left (the rusty iron part), VTEC solenoid and spool valve on the middle right, and distributor on the far right.
FYI, the VTEC solenoid and spool valve are two parts doing one job - turning oil pressure on and off for the VTEC mechanism. The solenoid applies oil pressure to one end of the spool, which slides up or down to uncover or block larger ports that feed the VTEC mechanism. In more general engineering terms, this is known as a piloted valve.
The EGR valve practically guarantees that it's a VTEC-E engine, though there may have been some California-emissions vehicles that had one? If you REALLY wanted to be sure, you could remove the valve cover and look at the intake valves. The engine will have come to a stop with one of the cylinders on its intake stroke, so the intake valves should be open (pressed down by the rockers). On a VTEC-E engine, only one valve on that cylinder will be pressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts