Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
swapped a d15b7 in my ek hatch. Running a p06 with a conversion harness. Runs but is misfiring bad especially in the lower RPMs.

When I did the swap I used my obd2 dizzy off my y8 head becuz of the connector issue. (motor was blown) Would this cause the misfire? do i need different spark plugs with the different dizzy? i chcked for vacuum leaks, none i have a cel so ill pull the codes and post later.thanks
i have the d15 dizzy so i might just splice it in but i wana be sure it will fix it before hacking up my harness

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
why not just swap the head onto the b7? using the y8 intake? pretty sure youre meant to use the b7 dizzy to make it run right

Reactions: BogusSVO

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
you failed to check ignition timing. the OBD2 distributor is not a direct swap as far as timing. you WILL need to swing it one way or the other to get the timing light to match the timing marks on the crank pulley.

Sometimes its only needing a slight turn, sometimes its nearly maxed out in the slots. In rare cases you will need to hog out the mounting holes slightly to get timing correct.

and just to piss us off, there are also rare times it sits spot on centered and works perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you failed to check ignition timing. the OBD2 distributor is not a direct swap as far as timing. you WILL need to swing it one way or the other to get the timing light to match the timing marks on the crank pulley.

Sometimes its only needing a slight turn, sometimes its nearly maxed out in the slots. In rare cases you will need to hog out the mounting holes slightly to get timing correct.

and just to piss us off, there are also rare times it sits spot on centered and works perfectly.
so your saying i need to unbolt the dizzy and do what? rotate its location? or the little spingle thing that goes in the head.? lol sorry my first car so go easy on me

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,477 Posts
did you check timing? if youre using an odb1 engine, you should use the odb1 distributor. Im sure if you google it, youll find out what to use.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
You need to get a timing light.

Open hood

Clean timing marks on balancer and front cover

Hook up timing light according to owners manual

start car

Loosen dizzy hold down bolts

One had hold timing light, other hand turn dizzy to FSM ignition spec.

With out moving dizzy, tighten hold down bolts

Remove timing light

Shut hood

have a nice day

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
so your saying i need to unbolt the dizzy and do what? rotate its location? or the little spingle thing that goes in the head.? lol sorry my first car so go easy on me

the mounting bolts for the distributor need to stay put. you loosen them.

Bogus nailed it.

I assumed you had a little background if you had an OBD1 engine and conversion harness and all that.

timing should ALWAYS be checked when the distributor, head, block, or crank pulley is touched in any way.

1 degree off can lead to noticable performance difference if on the right component.

This also means once you figure out the issue, you learn a bit more about your car.

EDIT to adjust timing for the ecu to actually save it, you need to jump the service connector.

have the car warmed up FULLY before adjusting timing.

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Matt, I thought there would be a SPout to be dealt with and someone would speak up about it.

So if you or someone else, would like to go ahead and lay out step by step where it is, and just how it is jumped at the service connecter.

We will have that question dealt with.

Spout is the Ford term to disable the ECU from the Dizzy when setting base timing. Its what I know, Just a little plug to pull.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im just gonna wire the d15 dizzy i dnt have a timing light or anything like that. thanks aain for the help boys !

·
DIY Guru
96 Ranger-stock
637 Posts
Timing lights can be had new for less than $20 bux

After wrenches and sockets, a timing light should be the next tool you get, then a voltmeter

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
lol I dont own a timing light myself, I just have over a dozen to choose from depending on who I call or viist lol

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Since reading and understanding fails you I'll just make it simple. You will have the same problem you have now. Taking out the dizzy the timing will be off and you will need to set it to make it right. A timing gun/light is needed to do this

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Unless you are a miracle worker, a distributor, once unbolted, will need the timing adjusted once installed. Unless it is the same exact setup and you marked where it was.

honda made the mounting points adjustable because of the way the sensors are inside the distributor. they can shift over time a tiny bit, but the distributor is not cast with 100% accuracy of parts palcement.

I advise you to skip wiring in a OBD1 distributor. just depin the plugs if you need to swap distributor generations.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Injector timing snail is 180 out in a non vtec obd1 dizzys. It isnt a huge deal if everything else is correct, and it makes the most difference at idle.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Theres nothing Vtec about a dizzy.

You dont really need a timing light for jack shit, ecpecially sing 90% of people dont know what it represents. The engine should run decent over the whole range of adjustment or else something else is wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Theres nothing Vtec about a dizzy.

You dont really need a timing light for jack shit, ecpecially sing 90% of people dont know what it represents. The engine should run decent over the whole range of adjustment or else something else is wrong.
really? this motor ran mint before i swapped it into my obd2 hatch now its misfiring badd

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,308 Posts
swapped a d15b7 in my ek hatch. Running a p06 with a conversion harness. Runs but is misfiring bad especially in the lower RPMs.

When I did the swap I used my obd2 dizzy off my y8 head becuz of the connector issue. (motor was blown) Would this cause the misfire? do i need different spark plugs with the different dizzy? i chcked for vacuum leaks, none i have a cel so ill pull the codes and post later.thanks
i have the d15 dizzy so i might just splice it in but i wana be sure it will fix it before hacking up my harness
don't be a baby about cutting into one wire ,put in the b7 dizzy :bandito:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts