Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I'm new to this forum so whats up! I'm going to install a d16z6 in my 90 crx si using the stock ecu and harness and need a switch to activate vtec. Does anyone have any suggestions on a cost friendly method? I know msd makes a switch but it's a little too costly for me. Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
you have 2 options:

A) Convert to obd1 and go with the p28 ecu which is the vtec ecu for that specific motor.

B) Get a V-afc and turn on vtec through that

I would suggest either of those because they will send the correct amount of fuel once vtec kicks in, unlike an rpm switch to turn on vtec ( switch just turns vtec on but doesnt send the correct amount of fuel which means you wont be running right at higher rpms)

·
Registered
934 Posts
the msd rpm activator is about $60-80 bucks. The VAFC on the other hand is about $200-250+ on ebay or new. You can convert to obd1 if you have the time. You can also get a auto ecu and chip it and run vtec from it as well. well those are 3 options. MSD is still by far the cheapest way to go if your on a budget.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would look around and find a used vafc. not only can u control your vtec but u can adjsut your fuel for more power to.. O yea they look kool 2.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apex001 said:
the msd rpm activator is about $60-80 bucks. The VAFC on the other hand is about $200-250+ on ebay or new. You can convert to obd1 if you have the time. You can also get a auto ecu and chip it and run vtec from it as well. well those are 3 options. MSD is still by far the cheapest way to go if your on a budget.
The msd rpm activator will activate vtec rite at a certain rpm but will it send the correct amount of fuel once vtec kicks in ? because u can be running w/ vtec on but not w/ the right amount of fuel... better off getting a vafc thats used and in working order or take the time to convert to obd1 n use the p28 ecu.... activating vtec is the main issue but getting the right amount of fuel at the higher rpms is what you want also.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know of someone that is selling a fields boxer vtec controller unit. What I need to know is will it work with my obd0 ecu? With this controller you can also control the fuel curve like the apexi unit. Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts