Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a market for these?? i found 3 at the local junkyard. i wanna see if anyone needs em.....and ik you guys in the FI section use these :D

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts

haha ;]! yaa i have come across quite a few at junkyards as well .. I know a few people who pick 'em up for their volvos .. but yaa, they're reaally small ..

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
i always seem to find that volvo turbos are always the first piece gone at the junkyard
I find that to be true for Saab turbo's but I've found TONS of Volvo one's still in tact.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well from what civichillclimber and autox said, they are really good for autocross and lap tracks....figured im not the only one trying to get into this sort of thing. figured i'd share the love hahah

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have 1 got from a jy. They are good for around 200-250whp. Best bet is to sell them on ebay.. you wont get rich tho.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i didnt think i would, just got em for free cuz ive got the hook up there.

also i got a huge diesel caravan turbo....hahahaha that thing is a beast

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If you wane send me one for free I'll take one off your hands. Lol! Looking for something like this for DD. Just no money right now. Lol

·
Registered
1,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
There's a reason you found 3...

From what I've heard they're to small to run on anything and see any real power gains.
Yeah just like 200% of what the stock engine makes. No real power gain there.

ill take one whats your pay pall i got stock internals so i think that turbo will work out great
Those little volvo turbos are AWESOME, I'm using one on my stock d15b7 bottom end. It spools quick and pulls hard. Starts to run out of breath around 6800 but I'm almost ready to shift by that point anyway.

Are they the DSM or Garrett turbos. Volvo used both interchangeably for several years. All of them have a t3 flange, at least the earlier ones.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm pretty sure the one on my dohc zc right now is from a volvo. It spools quick and gives some great low and mid range power!

·
Registered
180 Posts
what years do you advise for the turbos that are on the volvo to use any year better than others, and are you using a trubo kit to run the full system, or is it all fabricated

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
what years do you advise for the turbos that are on the volvo to use any year better than others, and are you using a trubo kit to run the full system, or is it all fabricated
Well that depends on if you have a brand preference I think. The pre-98 (pre ford) Volvos use Garret and DSM turbos which are small t3s and td04s which both use a t3 flange. The post-98 (post for) Volvos use KKK turbos which are the same one's used on the newer VWs and Mazdas. I've heard good things about the KKK turbos but can really only speak for the tdo4-h 13c that was offered on the Volvos. From what I've seen and hear the KKK series turbos are wonderful, quick responding turbos and you will probably want to find a K04 instead of a K03.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Well that depends on if you have a brand preference I think. The pre-98 (pre ford) Volvos use Garret and DSM turbos which are small t3s and td04s which both use a t3 flange. The post-98 (post for) Volvos use KKK turbos which are the same one's used on the newer VWs and Mazdas. I've heard good things about the KKK turbos but can really only speak for the tdo4-h 13c that was offered on the Volvos. From what I've seen and hear the KKK series turbos are wonderful, quick responding turbos and you will probably want to find a K04 instead of a K03.
kkk's are good turbos but not near what they used to be once they were bought out by Borg warner about the same time the 1.8t's came out. Audi has been using them for years and years with no problems. A great example of this is my car which has 220k on it and the origianl k24 that I run on 17lbs. Many of the newer turbo's you'll find such as the k03, k03's (basiscally a k04), and the k04 will be bad of have play because the majority of the market of turbo cars do not know how to treat them. But I must admit they don't seem to be the 250k mile trouble free kkk's of yesteryear.

OP if the turbo you found happened to be a K24 2700 i'd be interested in one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts