Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is buying a junkyard volvo turbo a good idea has no shaft play looks pretty good not sure what volvo. i can maybe get some pictures.

i no im :3dtard:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Volvo turbo on a Honda?

No. You need a Honda turbo.
lulz.

OP - Find out what year & model it came off of. Then use google to find out what model turbo it is. Then figure out if it is enough turbo for the power you want to make.

·
FYB or FIU tune, pick 1
560 Posts
All youll need most likely is a flange adapter to goto the typical T3 flange, most likely it has water lines which you can either not use or use, its very easy to make functional. Make sure you get the stock downpipe with it as there usually cast so itll be easier in the long run than trying to get a flange.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I swear the volvo turbos I saw were garettes. Could be wrong though. But the turbos I saw were really small.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The doesn't have shaft pla I am not buying. A turbo is usually out of spec at .004"-.006" shaft play and that is just slightly thicker then a sheet of paper. Don't let that discourage you though as it damn well may still last just fine.

My point is that shaft play is something best measured with precision tools......

Do you know what car it is coming off of? Like model and year?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yeah garrett/airresearch. probley a .42/.48 good quick spool..lacks at the top end
They also used MHI's on certain year/models.

·
Registered
610 Posts
do you mean IHI's, i got an IHI rhb15 off a ford probe.
Yeah, you're right. Brain fart had me thinking Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Shit they used a wide variety f turbos. Hell knowing the make and model does not guarentee 100% you will know what it is. They used some TD04 13C and also used T3 45 trim in the same year and model.

I got an extremely odd Garrett off a Volvo once. It was a T3 50 trim with a .48 hot BUT the cold was .52. Not a .42 but .52. The only one I have ever seen.

The dimple that the Volvo T3 uses is easy to fix. Just take it to a decent machinist and have him mill it flat. There is still plenty material below the dimple itself to do so and not have anything to worry about.

That is what I did and sold it to a guy that ran the thing for 25xxx miles (I had it rebuilt). Funny thing is the idiot had a T3 50 trim and thought it was 40 trim. He was sure it was necessary to have the .52 cold side cover and that is what made it a 50 trim.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts