Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car PC working, with my Odyssey 860 and Phoenix Gold XS6600, and i'm not sure whether my alternator is up to the task. I'd like to install a volt meter somewhere so i'll have some forewarning if I'm slowly draining my battery.

I'm thinking about picking up a little digital 3 digit 0-100V display/meter on ebay, I don't think I like the ricey gauge pod style ones. Has anyone done something similar? I'd like something that's not too bright, though I may just mount it inside my glove box if it is.

Can you think of any good location to mount it in a CRX?

On a side note, has anyone added a cupholder to their CRX? If so, Where?

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Back when I was into stereos I had to upgrade my CRX alternator to a 90 amp. I was running a Sony ES XM-7557 5 channel amp, 4 JL 6W0 subs, Diamond audio components F&R, and a Nakamichi CD-45z head unit. It was amazing... but it added like 100lbs to my car...heh. Anyway, I'd try it out and see if it holds up. You may not have a problem. Check in you amps owners manual, if you have it, it should tell it's current draw. If it's 60 amps or less you'll be ok. As far as a mounting spot, they make pods that replace your center air vent. I'd get one of those pods that mount on the top of the dash. Since there is already that pocket to left of the gauge cluster.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
add up all the maximum current draws of all equipment and assume worst case scenario (theyre all on at the same time along withyour headlights, etc). if you are within (im estimating here) within 15% of your alternators maximum output i would think about getting a bigger alternator just to be safe. it can never hurt since you only draw what you need from it.

and if you want a voltmeter, just get the ebay one and tuck it somewhere like where your oem clock is or something (depending on the size of it of courseJ).

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My alternator is a mystery, it came with my d16y5, but looks newer than the motor (97). I don't have the manual for the car, so how would I figure out the amperage draw of Headlights + AC + 600 watt Amp (i have the manual, will look up power draw) + 400watt Inverter + PC + 7" LCD?

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
power is as simple as pie

P(power measured in watts)=I(current measured in amps) * E(voltage measured in volts)

given that formula we can deduce that current = power/voltage

assume 13.5 volts with the alternator on so i would say 600/13.5 = 44.4 amps at MAX power. if it is TRULY a 600 watt amp then you will want another alternator. but more than likely is is 600 PEAK which means only for a few seconds and at a minimum ohm load (lets say 2 ohms per channel). this is not a realistic measurement for that amp. i would bet on it using half that on a continuous basis.

your pc power supply should have the current draw on it or at least a power rating. most radios have a 10amp fuse on them meaning they draw less than 10amps at normal operation. using the last sentence as a basis, most of your other current estimations should not be very difficult.

lets say your amp has 2 30 amp fuses...then its maximum current draw would be 60 amps.

sorry its a long post but i was trying to clarify things

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
Talk to a local alternator rebuilder. There is a place in New Jersey near where my dad works that figured he could get a lexus alternator to fit (it was slightly dimensionally bigger width-wise) and that was 90 amps. Talking to a place like that may be your best bet for playing mix-and-match or even building an alternator for higher output.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I use Blue Sea Systems gauges on the yachts I service. They're rectangular with three light levels, easy to wire, and are well built. The red digital displays read to 1/10th volt or amp.

I hope this helped.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
you can take off your alternator and have it re-wound. I know locally there's a mr. alternator that does it pretty inexpensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts