Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 civic ex
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, not sure if this is the right area for this or not but plz help, just bought a 99 civic ex coupe and i love this car,my problem is that the speedometer cluster light dimm and flicker when i drive at nite, went to auto zone and got the battery and the alternator test and bam bad battery so dropped my street fighter 4 $$$ on a new battery but the car still does it, also had him test the new battery and said it was good, do u think its the voltage regulator in the alternor???? any idea's??????? plz help thxs

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact car and it does the same exact thing, I have replaced the battery as well because it wouldnt hold a charge. Had the alt tested at the same time and came back all good. Would really like to figure out this problem its very annoying! Also when the lights either dim or get brighter the SRS light seams to flicker on and off but not all the time, not sure if it is a related. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
First you need to test the voltage at the battery. Car off you should be getting around 12 - 13v
with the car running at idle you should be seeing 13-14.5 v. that will tell you if your alt is working or not.

I will also HIGHLY suggest inspecting all the large positive and ground wires for corrosion or breaks.

Make sure the ground wires have CLEAN contacts with the body and the engine. There is also a ground wire for the ecu on the thermostat housing. Make sure its making good clean contact.

And last of all. To a point its a Honda thing. The ecu uses a sensor called an electrical load detector. This sensor measures voltage/load on the electrical system. When the ecu sees light electrical load it will turn off the alt so it may seem that your lights have dimmed a little. Its a fuel saving technique.

·
Registered
91 Civic
1,183 Posts
And last of all. To a point its a Honda thing. The ecu uses a sensor called an electrical load detector. This sensor measures voltage/load on the electrical system. When the ecu sees light electrical load it will turn off the alt so it may seem that your lights have dimmed a little. Its a fuel saving technique.
ya i know in efs this is very normal i have a new alt and Optimia battery and there is a slight cluster and headlight dimming bellow 1000rpm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts