Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just wondering if the volkswagon turbos would be a good choice for a vitara build. i was offered a K04 for 75 and i was wondering what it would max out at psi and hp range.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
IMO wait to find a decent T3. You would have to have a custom manifold made because of the funky flange.

·
Registered
2011 VW Jetta Tdi
106 Posts
^ X2. Its comparable to a IHIRBH5 (probe/mx6 turbo) and you can get those mani flanges easily and they are just as cheap at the junk heap.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
You'll definitely have a unique project, but unique projects aren't easy projects. I don't think I've ever heard of a VW boosted civic...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would it really be too hard? the guy who is doing my exhaust system has a full welding setup. what would all be involved and if i got that VW turbo could i hit 400hp? thats my top goal on my vitara build

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
no vw turbo will hit 400hp, they all have smallish compressors and to them, a 25lb compressor is an upgrade.

(T3's flow about 35lbs, in 45trim)

·
11,892 Posts
would it really be too hard? the guy who is doing my exhaust system has a full welding setup. what would all be involved and if i got that VW turbo could i hit 400hp? thats my top goal on my vitara build
According to some sites they are good for 225hp. Whether that's crank or wheel I don't know.

Don't forget the custom downpipe too.

Like I said, IMO, I would wait. I paid $80 a piece shipped for two perfectly good T3 .42 / .48 saab turbo's neither of which had ZERO play. Both had the T3 flange of course and both had the 5 bolt DP flange. It just makes it easier in the long run if you want to upgrade your turbo without having to buy a new manifold and DP.

·
3,983 Posts
According to some sites they are good for 225hp. Whether that's crank or wheel I don't know.
most likely crank, makes sense given a 25lb compressor wheel
Don't forget the custom downpipe too.

Like I said, IMO, I would wait. I paid $80 a piece shipped for two perfectly good T3 .42 / .48 saab turbo's neither of which had ZERO play. Both had the T3 flange of course and both had the 5 bolt DP flange. It just makes it easier in the long run if you want to upgrade your turbo without having to buy a new manifold and DP.
what if I wanted to use the internal gate and 5-bolt to 3 bolt outlet?

know where to get a 3 bolt dp?

·
11,892 Posts
most likely crank, makes sense given a 25lb compressor wheel

what if I wanted to use the internal gate and 5-bolt to 3 bolt outlet?

know where to get a 3 bolt dp?
I'm sure you can get one from autoworks on this site. Or bmcrace.com may have the flange. There are plenty of ways to get the flanges you need for a particular setup. Or you could get a 5 bolt DP flange with a hole for the internal wastegate already cut out and have it dump open or back into the DP as you see fit.

·
3,983 Posts
I'm sure you can get one from autoworks on this site. Or bmcrace.com may have the flange. There are plenty of ways to get the flanges you need for a particular setup. Or you could get a 5 bolt DP flange with a hole for the internal wastegate already cut out and have it dump open or back into the DP as you see fit.
see the thing is, the wastegate flapper is integral to the 5-3bolt piece (I believe garrett calls it the "swingvalve")

·
11,892 Posts
see the thing is, the wastegate flapper is integral to the 5-3bolt piece (I believe garrett calls it the "swingvalve")

Ah that's right. I forgot about that.

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,014 Posts
k04 turbos range from the size of a bagel to around t-25 or small t3 turbo size.a smaller turbo running on edge at higher boost than its efficiency island is going to blow alot of hot air.
for a built motor this wouldn't really be taking advantage of your build.
get something that will make more cfm with cooler charging at the same power levels.
the smallest id get would be a super 60 for a vitara build, or a t3/t4 .48 .60 .
mine is a bit bigger wheel trim and absolutely love it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts