Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Recently I thought my distributor was going on my car, I figured might as well replace it it has around 300,000 miles on it. At first I was looking for a new OEM one but noticed that they are no more. So I started to look aftermarket and the VMS one seemed to be the best OE replacement. But I could not find a single review on so I just said f*** it and be the guinea pig. I received it today and it looked good(quality wise) and just to test it the OEM cap and rotor fits on it perfectly. I installed
it and she started right up, nice and smooth. I have only drove about an hour on it and it feels just like OE, reved the old d15 to around 6,000 and no cut outs or anything. So far so good, it was like $180 shipped.

CONCLUSION: as of right now I have none as I have only drove a little on it, I will update this thread in the future. I was just bored today and felt like writing something.

And yes i'm aware my engine bay is dirty and riced.

Attachments

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
What I like, is they polished the housing. They would NEVER waste the time required to do that without testing the operation of the unit.

I bet its a good one thats tested and will work out of the box. Those 60 ones are probably untested and very hit and miss.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
if people think $180 is expensive for a distributor, you better hope nothing else ever goes wrong lol.

$180 is cheaper than needing a tow truck when your $60 ebay garbage fails.

my $60 ebay distributor had to be notched on all mounting holes to get base timing spot on.

·
D-series SoCal Division
93' dx hatchback
659 Posts
Glad to hear it's holding up nicely.

5,000 miles plus on my dizzy and still functioning without issues.

·
Registered
93 maybe 94 coupe
289 Posts
For perspective's sake, a dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires for my ir intake dual carb 80 fiesta cost 435$

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My $60 ebay dizzy that came with a cap and rotor still work fine. I took mine apart when I got it and checked everything out, biggest issue I saw was the thermal paste between the case and ignitor was both shitty and poorly applied. I cleaned the junk off and put new computer thermal paste in and it has worked 100%.

Besides, those ebay dizzys dont have to last forever, when the whole dizzy costs the same as a cap and rotor by themselves, you can literally change them every time you world normally change a cap and rotor.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
Besides, those ebay dizzys dont have to last forever, when the whole dizzy costs the same as a cap and rotor by themselves, you can literally change them every time you world normally change a cap and rotor.
I am at a point in my life where carrying spare parts and tools in my car is considered a hassle. Having a part that works without having to worry about it is worth a little extra $$.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I am at a point in my life where carrying spare parts and tools in my car is considered a hassle. Having a part that works without having to worry about it is worth a little extra $$.
Honestly, carrying tools is kind of a requirement in any car that is as old as these are getting. I mean, my daily driver CRX is 29 years old this month.

That being said the ebay dizzy worked fine with no issues for over a year of daily driving, and it still works fine, the car is just not driven because the rods are bent.

I would also love to see that fancy race dizzy taken apart next to a cheap ebay dizzy and see if they actually used better components, or if they just buy cheap dizzys and put a $120 polish job on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the igniter went on it, lasted less than a year, it seems that it is a $120 polish job compared to the cheapies out there. Maybe it was a fluke, I could replace the igniter on it but ended up get a different brand.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
544 Posts
my $60 ebay distributor had to be notched on all mounting holes to get base timing spot on.
So did mine come to think of it.

So the igniter went on it, lasted less than a year, it seems that it is a $120 polish job compared to the cheapies out there. Maybe it was a fluke, I could replace the igniter on it but ended up get a different brand.
Appreciate the effort to update the thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts