Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a little build idea I've been toying with, but I don't know if it would work, so any input would be appreciated.
Yes, intend to boost it. T3/T04E 57 Trim (.63 AR) shooting for 350whp.

D16Z6 Block/Head
D17xx Crank
Forged, Standard Length D16 Rods
Vitara Pistons (75.5mm)
0.027" Head Gasket

The above set-up would net a ~9.3 CR and the pistons would be 0.020" out of the block. I'm pretty damn sure I'll have plenty of P2H clearance (maybe 0.080"?). But I am slightly worried about headgasket sealing issues with the pistons out of the block. I have read that it should be fine though. And will be okay to rev to 8000rpm, since I'll have forged rods instead of the think stockers.

With that asked, would it even be worth stroking it for the slight low-end advantage? How would it effect power everywhere else in the rpm-range? Given the same compression.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
u would need to run a .060" head gasket to be safe, or make sure that the piston will fit inside the CC in the head.

having the CC enlarged might be a requirement.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
What if I milled maybe 0.030" off the top of the piston so that they sat flush with the deck?
I had thought of doing this, but I wanted to compare the ring land thicknesses on stock pistons compared to a set of Vitara pistons to get an idea of whether it was a worthwhile compromise or not.

Opening up the chambers seems like a better alternative to me as long as you will have enough piston to valve clearance.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had thought of doing this, but I wanted to compare the ring land thicknesses on stock pistons compared to a set of Vitara pistons to get an idea of whether it was a worthwhile compromise or not.

Opening up the chambers seems like a better alternative to me as long as you will have enough piston to valve clearance.
Did you ever end up comparing the thicknesses/have any numbers?

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have a question kind of like the op. but in a different direction. op if you dont mind can you use the Vitara's in a d-17 block or can you use the crank rods from a d-17 then just throw on the Vitara's in a d 15 block.

·
Banned
My car...
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i have a question kind of like the op. but in a different direction. op if you dont mind can you use the Vitara's in a d-17 block or can you use the crank rods from a d-17 then just throw on the Vitara's in a d 15 block.
The big end of the D16 rods needs to be shaved down to fit the D17 crank, as the D16 crank has wider journals. And with modified D16 rods + Vitara's, the pistons come out of the block about 0.020".

I believe D15's and D16's have different sized mains, so a D17 crank would have to be ground down to fit in the D15 block. IMO, too much work to get it to fit when you could just use a D16 block. I'm not sure about rod length (I'll try it in the zeal calc in a bit), but I have a feeling that a D15 w/D17 crank/rods would have the pistons above deck quite a bit.

Yupp. D15 block w/D17 crank/rods (assuming you could make it fit) has the pistons like 0.200" out of the block.
With D15 length rods, it's still like 0.150" out of the block.
And compression is something rediculously high.

·
Registered
525 Posts
no they are out...remember the d17 crank adds 4mm to the stroke. y not just use the d17 pistons? they will have the about same compression. theres nothin special bout vitaras dnt buy the hype....oem pistons are damn good. i wouldnt want my pistons out of the hole on a boost build ever.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
ya but even still when doing the stroker with the stock plr d17 slugs .03 needs to be shaved to be flush with the deck. using the same math and substite the piston #s and i get the .02 so how is that above the head?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
212 - 94.4/2 -137 - 28.3 = -.5

That is 0.5 mm (0.020) above the deck.

I think a few of you need to learn some basic engine math.

Need a fucking picture?
well arnt we the smug one.....obvisoully i have been getting the .5mm or .0197" so its not the basic math it was a confusion of a sign.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
well arnt we the smug one.....obvisoully i have been getting the .5mm or .0197" so its not the basic math it was a confusion of a sign.
Yep, you got me.

It's a basic concept. Plugging in numbers without being able to interpret the answers means you don't understand the subject matter and/or the math behind it.

Sorry if the truth ruffles your feathers.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
its not about me not understanding basic math its the fact i was doing the math in my head and did not carry over the neg sign, so when you spelled it out i was like ok duh......but then you pointless coments are for what to make you feel smarter?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts