Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is smoking pretty bad on acceleration when its cold and it seems when I get off the gas and get back on it when cruising while its warmed up, surprisingly it doesn't seem to smoke much when I'm at WOT, I'm not saying it doesn't but I can't really notice it. I think my problem is the turbo that I just recently swapped on but I want to eliminate thinking its the rings. Smoking at idle too but I can't really tell if it is blue or white, and since it is winter I can't be sure that it just being cold is the reason for the smoke at idle.

As I said in the title the engine has vitara pistons with custom length I beams from FJ distributors. Probably has about 4-5k miles on it but they weren't easy miles and I tuned it myself...

Compression results:
Cyl 1 - 140psi
Cyl 2 - 155psi
Cyl 3 - 150psi
Cyl 4 - 160psi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try, at idle, removing the vacuum line off your block breather box so theres no vacuum on the crank case, plug manifold leak, if its your rings it'll smoke out the valve cover breather. And it wont be misleading steam from cold weather.

I'm on my 3rd set of vitaras, All busted ringlands, 1st set, 17psi & too much timing, 2nd set 30psi/40shot/93oct w/meth, #3starved for meth, detonated, broke ringlang again.

Each time it would lose bout 20 to 30psi of compression, Norm 155psi across(eagle rods) Ive seen as high as 140psi w/cracked ringland.

·
Registered
287 Posts
... if its your rings it'll smoke out the valve cover breather. And it wont be misleading steam from cold weather.
Can you describe this in more detail?

I am running vitaras and I have noticed a good amount of air/steam coming out from my valve cover breather.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
my Custom Length rod compression was 185 dead on, on each cylinder in my build. That compression sounds too low for custom rod build. You can also worry about the turbo, have you checked inside of your intercooler piping or the exhaust for oil? I had bad oil blow by in a turbo before. Oil was blowing into my intercooler piping and sucking into the intake charge and burning off. Oil restrictor on the line and it was fine after. Just saying check all your options before you go thinking you have to build another motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you describe this in more detail?

I am running vitaras and I have noticed a good amount of air/steam coming out from my valve cover breather.
Well if its steam it should go away pretty quickly once the engine is warm, if its still doing it after some hard driving its blow by (combustion blowing by the rings into the crank case, which comes out the breather)

Or you can just get someone to follow you and see how bad it is. Steam will evaporate quickly in the air, but smoke will linger.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol I don't need someone to follow me to know its burning oil when its cold on acceleration, it blows blue smoke like a freight train. I took the screen off of my turbo last night and there was oil on the intake so I'm sending it off to blaastperformance next week to get rebuilt. I'm pretty sure that will take care of the smoke but I am also now concerned about my compression as a separate problem if Cfab is getting 185 on the same rods, I suspect the way I broke the engine in was incorrect. I should probably replace the rings, deglaze the cylinders, install new rings, and break it in differently.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
392 Posts
Did you use the hastings rings and clock them properly? Hopefully you didn't have any detonation and break the ringlands... I have put some hard 5k miles on mine but I had a shop tune, I will have to check my comp

I also beat mine up breaking it in, how much vac do you pull at idle?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About 18"Hg I think, I don't pay that much attention. I used hasting rings and clocked them according to the oem service manual. I tuned it myself so it is possible that I broke the ring lands, I shall find out soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts