Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
6mm at the thick part
4.5mm at the valve relief

EDIT: When I killed a set, the top wasn't what let go. It was the land between top and second rings, and the land between second and oil rings. They measure 3.2mm and 2mm, respectively.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
6mm at the thick part
4.5mm at the valve relief

EDIT: When I killed a set, the top wasn't what let go. It was the land between top and second rings, and the land between second and oil rings. They measure 3.2mm and 2mm, respectively.
+rep.

I had asked in one of the other Vitara piston threads, and nobody had posted the info that I can recall.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
5mm wide. But for quench its surface area that matters isn't it?
Yes, I suppose. And having the quench areas line up.
More looking at/for the numbers to guesstimate how much I can take off the top of the piston (reduce dish volume = increase compression).

But it's not so easy..... Just toying with ideas..

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
reducing the dish doesnt increase compression when you are removing material.

if you machined the dish totally out you'd reduce compression.
Reducing (the size) dish (going from -15cc to -13cc) should increase compression, no?
Cut a mm off the top of the piston (dish goes from -15cc to maybe -13cc), wack the block to match, and you raise compression a little.
Or is my thinking off?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Reducing (the size) dish (going from -15cc to -13cc) should increase compression, no?
Cut a mm off the top of the piston (dish goes from -15cc to maybe -13cc), wack the block to match, and you raise compression a little.
Or is my thinking off?
ok, you didnt mention decking the block to match before. remember that compression is directly related to combustion chamber volume, so removing material from the combustion chamber would lower compression right. now imagine doing the same thing except to the piston, removing material will lower compression, decking the block will bring it back up slightly, but you'd be better off cutting from the head. or leave the pistons alone and shave the head, adjust head gasket thickness, or use different pistons to determine compression.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts