Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a specific way to time a motor that has vitaras? or can I just time it as if it was the regular pistons on there? I can hear the valves pretty loud and it gets quieter at certain rpms. What do you suggest? When I first checked before start up, I put everything tdc but somehow it wa way off, I fixed it to tdc but now Im afraid Im still getting loud valves but at a cettain RPM range.

And I saw a bunch of vitara builds and I wanted to be sure that mine is not too loud. How loud is too loud??? I will try to get a vid later on.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Just time it like normal....

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Yup OEM timing...

When you did the install, did you re-set your valve lash?

·
Registered
97' Civic
723 Posts
are you sure your hearing valve-train and not piston slap?

·
Registered
230 Posts
which way did you install them , towards the timing belt side or flywheel side?

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed them toward the belt as I saw in many forums since last year. I did not redo my valve lash. Should I???

·
Registered
230 Posts
They are supposed to be installed towards the flywheel side.
You're offset is on the wrong side with the pistons facing the Tbelt side.
One of the reasons they made the offset is to create a gradual transition from major thrust to minor thrust.
major thrust being applied towards the cylinder wall on the downward stroke on the combustion stroke and minor thrust being applied on the opposite side of the cylinder wall on the compression stroke.
That transition of force from wall to wall that the piston does creates a ticking sound.
Having a piston offset allows that transition to be graduate instead of forceful which aids in decreaseing the tick sound aka piston slap.
my .2

although a too large of PTW can cause piston slap even with pistons facing the right way.

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
I agree with DRFT you are most likely hearing piston slap due to installing the pistons with arrow facing timing belt

the piston slap may also be accentuated if you used standard bore pistons

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think Im gonna put the pistons' arrow towards the flywheel and change my piston rings, cuz I think a ring broke during install. ( breather has some oil smelling smoke coming out of it.) Do I need to change the main bearings again? Do I need to do a valve lash? Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Well, I think Im gonna put the pistons' arrow towards the flywheel and change my piston rings, cuz I think a ring broke during install. ( breather has some oil smelling smoke coming out of it.) Do I need to change the main bearings again? Do I need to do a valve lash? Thanks for your help guys.

Yes, the arrows point to the flywheel!!!
you could check your valve lash, and or re-adjust it, wouldnt hurt... and bearings yes if you are going to re-micropolish your crank... otherwise no it pointless unless they are bad, just put them in same place

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys, Does anybody know if STD size vitaras use plain regular honda piston rings or do they make rings specific ones for vitaras? Im stuck in my build because FJ's website is down right now. Thanks.

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well can I just buy any rings that say they're for vitaras? because I dunno what year they come off of. Do you know? I need specifications just to know Im getting the right stuff.

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW did you mean that the hastings rings are plain regular civic rings??? or vitara rings that fjt sells???

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Back from the dead with this thread, but updates: I went 75.5mm vitaras and engine sounds close to stock. I have the same question about timing though.

My idle sits at 1.2K to 1.5 K, but will rarely go down to the 900 it was setup at. Do you guys think its a timing issue? I timed the motor OEM. thanks for input.

BTW, I'm running it for break-in on my old tune, as I dont have the funds to get it tuned yet.

Waiting for answers. Thanx

·
Registered
97 4door EK-T
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My rev limit is 7.5K. But I havent taken it there just yet. BTW its a y7 ovebored block and a y8 head.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts