Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
ej1
1,222 Posts
Use the compression calculator with what ever rods you have available to see where they sit in the cylinder and if they stick up above or below the deck. If the distance they sit above the deck is acceptable, you'll have to decide if you want to have the tops of the pistons shaved slightly by the machinist if the valve reliefs are deep enough or use a deck shim/extra-thick head gasket. Consider issues like vtec or non when it comes to valve to piston clearance.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Out of the box they will not, but you can have you machine shop put a 45 degree angle on the edge or have the compression height reduced to 27mm or use a thicker head gasket (.051 thick).

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,882 Posts
will the vitara pistons work with a d17
stock d17a2 pistons will work fine no need for vitaras. the d17 pistons have a dish of -6.2cc

by the time you mill 1.5mm off the vitaras you will only have close to the same -6.2 as the d17 pistons but you will have a weaker piston

also the d17 pistons have a nicer dish in them the vitaras IMO and 9.5:1 is a great compression number for a turbo build

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
stock d17a2 pistons will work fine no need for vitaras. the d17 pistons have a dish of -6.2cc

by the time you mill 1.5mm off the vitaras you will only have close to the same -6.2 as the d17 pistons but you will have a weaker piston

also the d17 pistons have a nicer dish in them the vitaras IMO and 9.5:1 is a great compression number for a turbo build
Understand how you misunderstood compression height reduction, so I'll explain it some. The portion that is milled off is at the edge near the ringlands. Now the Vitaras happen to have the first ring pretty low on the pistion so milling .020(0.508mm not 1.5mm)(sometimes less then this, depends on how much decking has been done) does not weaken the piston very much.

See how much space?

EDIT: This will put the piston at 0 deck height, for stock you would need 1.3mm milled of and then the piston sits in the whole.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb
1,882 Posts
Oh yeah, i see what your sayig i also forgot the stock d17 pistons sit in the hole almost one mill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts