Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what would be a safe whp limit with stock rods? i would like to have 260-280whp, basically trying to max out 15g greddy turbo. thanks in advance

·
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
3,003 Posts
sohc-gT said:
just wondering what would be a safe whp limit with stock rods? i would like to have 260-280whp, basically trying to max out 15g greddy turbo. thanks in advance
Ill like to know as well.

O

·
0 Posts
that's about the limit. that's pushing it actually. if your going to spend the time and $ why not get a set of aftermarket rods? you have to take the old one off anyway and do bore honing so why not do it right and get the rods too to ensure it's safe? that will let you run up to 16-17 and 300 wheel power.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
Vitara's = floating wristpin
Stock rods = pressed wristpin

·
Registered
924 Posts
Why use stock rods? If you are going to go through all the work to pull the rods out, why put stock one back in? Rods fail just as easily as pistons.

·
No more Honda's :-(
3,223 Posts
vitara pistons won't work on stock rods for the reason stated above. if you really want to use vitara pistons (wich i really don't suggest at all) atleast get a set of tunertoys h beam rods.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
24-7 said:
Why use stock rods? If you are going to go through all the work to pull the rods out, why put stock one back in? Rods fail just as easily as pistons.
Stock rods are scary thin!

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
i'm with all of my predecessors. why bother just throwing in pistons? get some good rods, by some forged pistons, and then you can boost boost boost.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Vitara pistons WILL work on stock rods..just that it wont be a plug and play..
You will have to take the rods and the pistons to a machine shop and they have to put the Vitaras wrist pin into the stock rods..
Basically they need to convert the stock rod to be used with floating wrist pin..They have to slightly bore the pin diameter on the Z6 rod so that the wrist pin can slide into the Z6 rods...

I dont think Z6 rods will hold 260 whp...if you want to retain OEM rods get atleast PG6 rods which are beefier.. I have 2 friends running PG6 on Vitaras and theyre both above 260 whp

·
Registered
780 Posts
mindless said:
Vitara's = floating wristpin
Stock rods = pressed wristpin

:werd: and also... do you really want a set of toothpicks as rods if youre going to be trying to push 260+hp? with stock rods your bottom end wouldnt last very long... first time you'd have a misfire or have your timing off you'd probably throw a rod... lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the replys. like everybody else here, i'm on a tight budget. and i seriously doubt this little 15g turbo can make 300whp, which is why i'm hesitant to buy fordge rods, if stockers can handle it. even at 250whp, thats more than enough power to run 12's. i think thats very impressive for a single slammer using stock components and budget pistons for under $1000 or less :p

fjt said:
Vitara pistons WILL work on stock rods..just that it wont be a plug and play..
You will have to take the rods and the pistons to a machine shop and they have to put the Vitaras wrist pin into the stock rods..
Basically they need to convert the stock rod to be used with floating wrist pin..They have to slightly bore the pin diameter on the Z6 rod so that the wrist pin can slide into the Z6 rods...

I dont think Z6 rods will hold 260 whp...if you want to retain OEM rods get atleast PG6 rods which are beefier.. I have 2 friends running PG6 on Vitaras and theyre both above 260 whp

are pg6 rods as strong as ls rods?

·
Registered
780 Posts
dont doubt your 15g too much, theyre more capable than you think, remember they are practically the same turbo as an SRT-whore, i mean... SRT-4... i spiked mine at 20psi once... it was kinda nifty... lol

·
Banned
443 Posts
Greddy 15G = 240 whp at best. The SRT-4 turbo is a "16G" that's good for 425 whp... the big/small 16G that the earlier Mitsufeces guys run don't push anywhere near that.

My problem with Vitara pistons is that STD size is smaller than stock Honda pistons, results in excess piston to bore clearance, which sets you up for detonation. I've seen a couple guys go through this. Aside from that, the drop in CR is going to give you a nice bump in knock limit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts