Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rebuilding by d15b vtec and have a set of std vitara pistons. My piston to wall clearance in my worst cylinder is about .0035. and the rest its any where from .0025-.003 is this too much? My stock pistons are something like .0015 after the hone... what are you guys running

·
Registered
96 ek, D16y7
252 Posts
hope these help you out a lil im running the same motor as you and after searching the threads here im going 2 get a set 75.5mm vitara and get my block hone 2 fit them.and you want have 2 here the clicking when you car is cold.
the 75.5mm have a tighter piston to wall clearance. the 75s have more, but after warm up they are fine.
I went with 75.5mm because when I measured the piston to wall clearance with a 75mm vitara which are under 75mm mine measured .003" under, the cylinder walls the smallest out of spec measured in at 2.956" diameter and Honda's specs are 2.950" and they were slightly egg shaped. Add it all up I would have had about .010" of piston to wall clearance. So I sent my pistons back to FTJ who then sent me 75.5mm piston. Thank you FTJ. Once the new pistons were here the local speed shop bored and honed my block to Honda's specs for the 75.5 vitara pistons, which is .00040-.00016" piston to wall clearance I believe measured at the skirt. All tolerances I got from my Chilton's manual.

If my bore was perfect at 2.950" the Vitara pistons are still too small for my taste.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea I think they'll be alright they're just a little loose compared to stock..but I have seen way looser tolerances with no issues in v8s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts