Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the oiling system is a weak point on the D series, so I got an oil pressure gauge, shimmed and ported my oil pump, and run 10w40 in my T04E Y8 but after a few pulls spooling it all the way up, the oil pressure drops down to a mildly concerning level. I know that these gauges are kinda inaccurate under 25psi but I’d really rather not spin a bearing so I’m trying to figure out what’s up. I don’t know how loose these specs are at all, but the Haynes manual says it should have 10psi at idle. On a cold start the pressure is around 50psi initially then it drops down to around 25, and when it’s fully warmed up, before any pulls, the gauge reads around 10psi at idle, after a few pulls the pressure drops close to the 0 mark at idle, probably around 5psi if I had to guess, but the idiot light doesn’t come on and the engine hasn’t started making any new sounds, I didn’t see any metal shavings in the oil today when I changed it despite idling in traffic with the gauge reading ~5psi for an extended period of time, so I’m not sure if the gauge is inaccurate or if I’m starving my engine of oil at idle when the engine is extra toasty because the pump is ported and shimmed so aggressively. When it’s above 3k rpm it always has at least 40psi pressure at its hottest, and it has at least 50psi when it’s cold, so it’s not at risk of starvation at high rpm, the gauge reads over 100 at 6k warmed up, and over 75 when I’ve done a few pulls, I just don’t want to trash the engine with under 2k rpm operation where the pressure can get low when the oil is hot. What I can say for certain is that the oil gets noticeably thinner after hard driving resulting in a drop in oil pressure, so I am saving for an oil cooler setup, and have ordered a turbo blanket and heat shielding for the turbo feed lines for now, but if this is something more serious I want to know ASAP.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
Oil cooler will be your friend, this is a common issue with aftermarket gauges, and likely isn't harming anything, though depending on clearances I might go down on the weight a bit after the oil cooler install. 10 psi per 1000 rpm, so if idle is at 750 rpm and pressure remains above 8 psi at idle you are good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil cooler will be your friend, this is a common issue with aftermarket gauges, and likely isn't harming anything, though depending on clearances I might go down on the weight a bit after the oil cooler install. 10 psi per 1000 rpm, so if idle is at 750 rpm and pressure remains above 8 psi at idle you are good.
clearances are large due to the amount of boost I am running, 10 row oil cooler has been ordered, should I order a small electric fan for the cooler as well since idling hot in traffic results in the lowest gauge pressure?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
That probably depends on where it gets mounted. how far from heat sources, how close to open air, and what kind of air flow restrictions are in front of it. Oil that's too hot isn't good, but oil that's too cold isnt much better.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
Pull half a quart out of the pan via the dipstick tube and go for another rip.

Likely overfilled.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts