Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was under the impression that this can was versatile with its upper and lower ports. With my Bseries engine having ports on the back, My catchcan was filling up with oil. (The fittings tend to blow oil alot)

So, After going back and forth in my head about the Vibrant can, the filter addition, and also the fittings needed, It was close to 200 bucks for everything including hose.

I like the design as I can use the lower port for a drainback after oil blows into it.

Well, today I get the can. I start putting it all together (teflon tape on all plugs which are made of plastic) and I find the 1/2" NPT to AN fitting doesnt screw all the way into the can. Leaving at least half the threads exposed. Now using 90* hose fittings on top of that leaves the nipple part 4-5" away from the can.
WTF!

Next is the Vibrant Filter option. Well the fitler is so small that it makes the whole thing look like a cheap chinese ebay unit for 20 bucks. Not a can that I just spent 200 bucks on.

Im just going to have to return it and loop my block fittings until I fond something thats worth a shit.

On to the pic:
would you guys pay 200 bucks and have it look like this?

·
Registered
1999 EJ8
1,188 Posts
Definitely not looking like a $200 catch can setup.

I'd be downright upset too!

I appreciate the review though, informative.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
^^
Inside is totally open. I have foam media I was going to use as a baffle.

Damn man, now I feel bad for buying your old one :(
I feel bad for selling it before this one showed up :smackself:

I sent vibrant an email about this as well

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
^^
Inside is totally open. I have foam media I was going to use as a baffle.

I feel bad for selling it before this one showed up :smackself:

I sent vibrant an email about this as well
Damn. You could of just gotten a stright pipe and welded the ends close and an fittings on the sides. I thin 10an steel fittings are like $10 each.

I was thinking about buying one of these but decided I would make my own when I had the time.

·
ministry of mayhem!
93 honda integra
5,673 Posts
fucking hell, $200 for that?? :0

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was the price with the Twist Tite hose..

Not to worry.. Its all going back and I PM'd Greg @ Autoworks to have one fabbed up just the way I want it.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No answer from greg.. So since no one wants to sell me what i need, I decided to keep the can and use it the way I need it to work.
With the back of block plugs on the Bseries tends to blow alot of oil into the can, theres nothing wrong with this oil, so a drain back is what Im looking for.

This is just one of the set backs of having a great spot to vent pressure. Most all cans dont have a drain back besides Endyne's modded Moroso can and modded OEM fittings. when your engine fills up your can, its a pain in the butt to keep emptying it. I just needed something to vent pressure and let the oil roll back into the block.

This can has a small mounting bracket which fits on firewall next to battery tray (where the old fuel filter used to be) which is perfect.

I ordered 1/2" NPT male hose fittings to go right into the bottom part of the can. I used foam as baffling towards the top of the can and left 1/3rd of the bottom part open. So when oil does blow into the can it will stay at the bottom.
The foam will let the air pass thru the foam while leaving the oil to drip down. (copper Chor-boy or steel wool will do the same) When the pressure drops off when at lower engine speeds, the oil will drip back down into the engine.

onto the pics:

Some foam media I used

Heres it is with some room for oil to get into the can

Since the 3/4 nipple fitting is 20 and filter is another 20, im leaving the top open

Summit sent me wrong fittings, but this is what it will look like

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The can itself was 98 @ Summit. I returned the hose, fittings and filter.

My new hose fittings cost 9ea bringing the total to under 120.

I will say its a small price to pay for a can that can mount where i need it to.
I found that most all the cans being sold online and thru DSO sponsors do not show the mounting option.
Nothing like blowing your cash and getiing it at your door to find it needs 5" of flat surface to mount. I went thru this twice.
This vibrant has a smaller tab that fits where i want it.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I have the nrg can. Its a closed system that I drilled out a large port on the top and installed a mini breather filter (either k&N or mr gasket) orks great and half that price. but I went 10k miles and only had a 1/8th or less of the can full

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
are you vented on back of the block?

With my old can, it was vented and after a few high RPM runs, i cam home to find it was full. So i got tired of having to check it every weekend. This way it drains back and vents and i dont have to deal with it.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well his cans have ports on top. I wanted my ports to pretty much upside down. I sent him a PM and since my block doesnt have anything at the moment to stop the oil/vent. I needed something in the wind asap. I didnt hear anything fast enough so I kept the can.

Plus I didnt see any pics of how his can mounts. B&R fitting has a can as well but doesnt show mounting area. I wouldve been happy to use gregs can, but if he had to make one asap, it might not have gotten to me in time. The Mfactory can looks nice, but would need modification to vent it. After drilling and tapping, adding fittings, it wasnt cost feasible.

I have a exhaust appt friday and dyno appt saturday.

EDIT::

I just want to point out that the 200 bucks was Can, all Fittings, Fitler option and Twist tite hose which added up to 18X.XX.
The Vibrant can itself was 98

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
are you vented on back of the block?

With my old can, it was vented and after a few high RPM runs, i cam home to find it was full. So i got tired of having to check it every weekend. This way it drains back and vents and i dont have to deal with it.
Yes block is vented.i was on a stock blackbox going into the catchcan....i know have the black box cut up and used the mounting points and the provision to go in the block. I then welded a barbed fitting to it. Bolted it on and ran a 5/8 hose to the catch can. But oil has a long way to travel uphill to the catchcan. But i havent noticed any excess build up in the can

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Those big ports make that can salvageable.

A little tweak here and there. Think about a way to add some baffling inside of there. Maybe a chopped and twisted (lol) soda can?

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Those big ports make that can salvageable.

A little tweak here and there. Think about a way to add some baffling inside of there. Maybe a chopped and twisted (lol) soda can?
This foam shown is what wouldnt fit inside. Theres alot squeezed in there. I blew into the lower ports and its fine. Theres no chance of oil going up 8-9" and blowing out the top. If this was tracked where Im up in the RPMs then I could see it. but i think it'll be fine.

the top port is 3/4 NPT so its enough to let it breathe

Perrin which is with the Subaru crowd uses this foam in their catchcan kit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts