Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any experience with VHT caliper paint?

I used this stuff on my maxima brake upgrade and even spent $40 getting the new/used calipers and brackets sandblasted to do a thorough job on this. putting larger 04 - 08 maxima brakes on 00 - 03 is a direct fit and I spent $204.00 all together.

these brakes are 320mm compared to the stock 296

Attachments

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
I've used it on a couple cars. Holds up quite well if you prep the surfaces nicely.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I've used it on a couple cars. Holds up quite well if you prep the surfaces nicely.
+1

i did my calipers and hit it with clear.. came out nice. the brake dust shows up bad, but oh well, id rather have dirty copper calipers then rusty ones

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's the main reason I painted them so they don't get all nasty and rusty looking like the ones that were on there . next sunday ill be doing the ones in the back..

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts

I had to post this, it was too perfect lol
Sadly, I've seen guys do that and it works out pretty well. After they hit the brakes once or twice, it cleans off the rotor portion and the rest is painted for life. Pretty much seals out all the rustyness.

I'd never do yellow though, black for sure but not yellow.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
that's the main reason I painted them so they don't get all nasty and rusty looking like the ones that were on there . next sunday ill be doing the ones in the back..
Steel bristled brush and brake clean will be your friend for a while!

·
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11
3,983 Posts
works really well.

works well on valvecovers too, coats great and you know it can take the heat without issue

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Sadly, I've seen guys do that and it works out pretty well. After they hit the brakes once or twice, it cleans off the rotor portion and the rest is painted for life. Pretty much seals out all the rustyness.

I'd never do yellow though, black for sure but not yellow.
Would the small amount of paint that pad grabs on embed into the fresh pads?

Wonder how break in goes in that situation....

Long hair don't care type of things huh...

·
Registered
my Skateboard
1,945 Posts
Would the small amount of paint that pad grabs on embed into the fresh pads?

Wonder how break in goes in that situation....

Long hair don't care type of things huh...
Wondering the exact same thing.. wouldn't mind having black rotors.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I was taught to paint them THEN turn them, I guess if you had lifetime pads or if they had a high coefficient of friction then it wouldn't matter.

BTW: This is what they are on lol

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
Lol, I was about to do mine in a similar shade honestly... We have at he same colro scheme though (with matte bronze wheels though).

Although I might have found a similar color to the PWJDM bronze tower bars to use instead.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
I used the good old harbor freight 10 buck heat gun to cure it. (as pictured)

This color wwas the engine enamel. But i figured if it could handle engine heat, brakes shouldnt be a problem.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Engine enamel has about a 550° heat range. Some do go to 2000° but regular brakes won't see that kind of heat. Also clearing parts does help with their durability

1 - 19 of 19 Posts