Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i recently picked up a black top zc off a friend of mine that ran fine in his car until his transmission met a very unlikely demise. he probably put 5k on it and the transmission ripped apart. anyways not why im here.

im getting mixed answers and need some straight forward ones for two reasons.

1. my 1987 crx si motor or something to do with the motor has finally had it and does crazy things when the car warms up.

2. i now have a black top zc and want to know if it can be possible to swap said motor into my car?

if so can someone help me out with this process if not im selling the motor.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Is the black top an actual 88-91 JDM DOHC ZC? 88-91 ZC's are not very compatible with the 1st gen CRX - different mounts - different fuel system - lots of wiring differences - it will not bolt to your CRX transmission - it can be done, but it is not easy - one of the harder swaps

EDIT - fuel system isn't too bad - ignition system is quite different

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the black top an actual 88-91 JDM DOHC ZC? 88-91 ZC's are not very compatible with the 1st gen CRX - different mounts - different fuel system - lots of wiring differences - it will not bolt to your CRX transmission - it can be done, but it is not easy - one of the harder swaps

EDIT - fuel system isn't too bad - ignition system is quite different
It is the 88-91 blacktop zc or second gen zc as i keep seeing it referred to. I have seen it bolts to the 88-91 civic / integra trans but does this mean i have to swap axles to because if its about to cost me a dumb amount ill just rebuild my motor once i figure out whats wrong with it.

Also is there anyone on here thats done it that can help me out? With what all ill need because im not finding anyone whose done it.

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
People have been doing this for decades, the problem your running into, is that all that info is so old you'll need to look into the archives.

Take note as to what jlicrx said, black.top zc in a 85-87 will need a custom made timing belt side mount, will need fuel system component modification as well as the ignition. It's been done, alot, keep searching and eventually you'll find the write up or build.thread your looking for

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
EDIT check out the search I mention below. perhaps the blacktop might work. havent touched a EW in over 10 years since my brother had a 87 si hatch

fuck that black top.

swap the correct dohc head onto your current engine block.

search civic hydra red pepper racing

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
should bolt up to the 88-91 Integra transmission - motor mounts are easy to piece together...Inner VC joints form the Integra to match the transmission, outer CV joints to match the CRX hubs. I used the intermediate shaft on mine to I used two of the driver side CRX axles in my swap and rebuilt them with inner Integra CV joints.

If you go to RPR and look up the Hydra build, that was mine, years ago before I transplanted the entire Interga drive train in my CRX. The compression is really low with the D16A1 head on the D15A3 (EW) motor that came in the CRX from the factory.

·
Registered
952 Posts
should bolt up to the 88-91 Integra transmission
it will almost bolt up to the 86-89 Integra transmission - you won't be able to get one of the bolts in and you will have to make a modification to get the starter to bolt on - the 90-91 Integra has a B-series transmission which won't work with the D-series engine

·
Registered
1987 CRXSi
416 Posts
it will almost bolt up to the 86-89 Integra transmission - you won't be able to get one of the bolts in and you will have to make a modification to get the starter to bolt on - the 90-91 Integra has a B-series transmission which won't work with the D-series engine
Correct - I was in a bit of daze when I typed that...THX!

·
Premium Member
90 crx si/96 accord
788 Posts
should bolt up to the 88-91 Integra transmission - motor mounts are easy to piece together...Inner VC joints form the Integra to match the transmission, outer CV joints to match the CRX hubs. I used the intermediate shaft on mine to I used two of the driver side CRX axles in my swap and rebuilt them with inner Integra CV joints.

If you go to RPR and look up the Hydra build, that was mine, years ago before I transplanted the entire Interga drive train in my CRX. The compression is really low with the D16A1 head on the D15A3 (EW) motor that came in the CRX from the factory.
Wait, hold up...the A1 head bolts up to a d15a3????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts