Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 civic it has a Y7 block and a Y8 head. When I first put the engine in it ran fine for a couple of weeks. It then started to have a very bad hesitation. When I first start the car up it will run fine for a couple mins then it starts acting up. If I stop at a stop sign or a red light the rpms will drop almost down to zero. Then when I hit the gas the light will be turning yellow by the time I get through the intersection. If I'm sitting on a hill it's even worse. The rpms will climb to about 4-4.5k before shifting from 1st to 2nd and again when shifting to 3rd(It's an auto). Once it gets moving above 20mphs it will start to do ok it struggles to get up to speed, but as soon as I take my foot off the gas it starts acting up again and becomes more sluggish. I replaced the fuel filter a couple days after it started doing this, thinking it might be clogged. It was clogged up a little, but it still does it with the new filter on. I put new plugs in after I dropped the engine in. What could be causing this problem???

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
have you checked the auto trans fluid? check the condition, the level and the smell of the fluid. :TU:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I checked it on a daily basis before driving it. The boot next to the tranny on the drive axle is bad so it has a slow leak, just haven't gotten around to fixing it since I don't drive the car since it started acting up.

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
hmm since its a 99 u can check it for codes, always good to do that before venturing into trying to find the problem. start with the basics if you dont have any codes to work with, battery, charging, ground cables and so forth. do you have a shop manual?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only code it is throwing is for the knock sensor and it has been throwing that code since I put the engine in. Even after replacing the knock sensor it still throws the code saying a malfunction in the sensor. I have a manual that I found on honda tech that I downloaded.

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
you got any fuel leaks? mabe sucking fuel and air at the same time and causeing power loss?! any kinked lines?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no fuel leaks and none of the lines are kinked as far as I have seen. Like I said it had been running fine for a couple of weeks before it started doing this. I went out to start the car and it ran for a few mins then died. I tried to start it up again and thats when it started acting this way

·
Registered
98 honda civic LX
1,765 Posts
hows your fuel pump working? i had a truck at work start up fine and ran all day then he parked infront of the shop and it wouldnt start, turns out the fuel pump craped out....not to mention he just filled a 30 gal tank and the pump was in tank!

also check your llines from the pump just a thought

1 - 8 of 8 Posts