Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
10 second daily driver :)
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i am wondering if the boosted guys here know any thing about venting the PCV to atmosphere? as it is i have a little breather filter on my valve cover but my pcv system is stock, i am wondering how others have theirs done and why?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
yes it is a must. your pressurizing the crankcase with the stock set-up in there. searching is your friend. there have been a lot of threads about this.

i have taken part in the threads, so you could save some time by adding my name into your search parameters.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i searched and found nothing, accept a occasional mention that some one did it but they don't say how or why. perhaps i am using the wrong key words.

·
3,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i re searched using different key words and i must say i am sorry i did, its all just a bunch of arguing and 200 people saying each other is wrong, i guess i just need to find some one with a set up to mine and have them tell me how they did it.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
everyone has their own opinion on it. I have mine vented to a catch can. I don't want to pressurize the bottom end and blow my ringlands. I have had friends this has happened to

·
Registered
613 Posts
ok i re searched using different key words and i must say i am sorry i did, its all just a bunch of arguing and 200 people saying each other is wrong, i guess i just need to find some one with a set up to mine and have them tell me how they did it.
if you leave it stock, you will blow out either your rear main or front crank seals.

edit: or like duck stated even your ringlands but i was told you have to be boosting for more than 15 seconds.

·
CR-Vtakin
11,459 Posts
everyone has their own opinion on it. I have mine vented to a catch can. I don't want to pressurize the bottom end and blow my ringlands. I have had friends this has happened to
like me? twice?

thats why I now have your catch cans, mine will be vented the exact same way duck's was vented.

thanks again btw

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
there are a lot of ways to do it, depending on how complex you want to make it. bottom line is you must change it. you'll push oil past your rings and risk blowing seals. vented to the atmosphere is acceptable. a vacuum setup is better.

-Luke

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
I would run it to a vacuum source like the intake pipe with a oil catch can because the blow by experienced from the boost needs to be bleed and it is proven to gain power by doing a catch can and running it to the intake so the motor is seeing a neutral on positive crank pressure

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts
I would run it to a vacuum source like the intake pipe with a oil catch can because the blow by experienced from the boost needs to be bleed and it is proven to gain power by doing a catch can and running it to the intake so the motor is seeing a neutral on positive crank pressure
When I had mine on the intake pipe, it blew oil into my turbo that bypassed the can, not a good thing. On some setups, there are no intake pipes to run the can to anyways ;).

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts

·
Defender of the D
2,495 Posts
so how can you run a vacuumed catch can and not get oil in the intake piping?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
I would run it to a vacuum source

The HT thread talks about a lot of different ways to create a vacuum, but a hose from the valve cover and one from the black box to a vented catch can seems good to me. You may be loosing some small amount of power by not having "positive" venting, but I like the simplicity. There was a post somewhere around about removing the black box, tapping the hole, adding a barbed adaptor, and running just a 5/8" hose staight to the catch can.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
so how can you run a vacuumed catch can and not get oil in the intake piping?
oil separator valve. ford lightnings have one made for them from the aftermarket. iirc, the actual valve is made from different parts from a home a/c unit.

pics of one on a "L":
http://www.msnusers.com/LVspics/shoebox.msnw?albumlist=2
and who makes the "kit":
http://www.lnsauto.com/main_performance.shtml

you could also baffle the catch can, so to stop the mist from continuing on from the can to the intake track.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts