Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advantages to venting the wastegate dump tube as opposed to having it cycle back into the downpipe?

I'm on the fence about what I"m going to do. If I vent the wastegate, I'm going to run the pipe all the way out the back of the car and have two pipes side by side...one 3" and the other the size of the dump tube. If there's no benefit to venting it as opposed to recirc, I'm going to recirculate it for less noise.

What do you think?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about running the dump tube all the way out the back and having matching exhaust tips side by side. one 3" and the other whatever size the dump tube will be. The advantage i can see having it vented is having that much more exhaust flow. It would be like running bigger than 3" since that extra exhaust wouldn't be recirc'd into the existing pipe.

plus, i think it would look kinda cool and the sound be not as noticable since it's next to the muffler.

·
R2.....Zap Balls
5,186 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Prolly a newb question but, can you use some sort of muffler on the vent or does that create too much back pressure? (raising boost)

·
insert user title here
3,014 Posts
i love the sound of an open dump. it goes from quiet to pissed off.

ive heard of some people using a small motorcycle muffler on their dumptube. but honestly, i dont think its that bad.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I love open dumps. I don't know about the running it all the way out the back of the car, that would be a heck of alot of 1.5" tubing next to some 3" (or whatever size you use). I'm probably going to remake mine here soon.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
shit i love my Dump pipe open...my shit sounds like a fuckin motorcycle... (JoeyOCK) tubing ur Dump pipe all the way back of the car would look kinda cool i guess...but its gonna hurt more than anything...its gonna cause a major restriction for the excessive exhaust to flow freeely out...think about an open DP vs a full exhaust... so ur WG isnt gonna be working efficiantly...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Prolly a newb question but, can you use some sort of muffler on the vent or does that create too much back pressure? (raising boost)
there's a thread on here somewhere where a guy put a weed wacker or lawn mower muffler on his dump tube. I believe he removed it later though because it didn't really have any effect. I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

·
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread
11,969 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
connect it to a hose and run it out the door?? while tuning

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
open dump will give you more HP, but it will be stupid loud. Some people put a cutout on it, and normally run it back in to the exhaust.
Um Seriously? Do you have a dyno to prove this statement? I highly highly doubt you can gain power from dumping as opposed to recirculating properly. It just helps to prevent boost creep

ive heard of some people using a small motorcycle muffler on their dumptube. but honestly, i dont think its that bad.
You beat me to it... I also heard about people using lawnmower mufflers but I think that also has been mentioned on this thread

1 - 19 of 19 Posts