Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i been lurking around here for a while. heres my question i know the porsche uses this on it's carrera (k16 turbo) but what other turbos use vtg and how do you think it would perform on a y7/y8 mini me running chrome pro with dsm 450's. i've been trying to find a compressor map but no luck. any thoughts

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
I thought about that myself. I'm just not sure how the vanes open and close and how you would control them.

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
That article does not say if the turbo comes with the electronics or other mechanasim to open the vains. But if you think you can do it I'd give it a shot. It would make a fun car thats for sure.

for those of you who dont know what it is, its basically a turbo with a variable A/R raito. No wastegate needed 8)

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
mikeD16Z6 said:
That article does not say if the turbo comes with the electronics or other mechanasim to open the vains. But if you think you can do it I'd give it a shot. It would make a fun car thats for sure.

for those of you who dont know what it is, its basically a turbo with a variable A/R raito. No wastegate needed 8)
Fucking scientists and their strange way of explaining things :)

J/K...Im curious about this two. I believe these are being used on some german high ends

·
D-series Champ
1,338 Posts
has any body heard anything about the new turbo that honda is coming out with. it uses a very similar technology, but the adjuster for the turbine side is controlled by a vac actuator. i think they said the wastegate and variable trim actuators are the same part #.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
D'oh Obviously Spelling Is Not My Strong Suit. I'm Just Curious About This Turbo Cause I Took My Bosses Porsche 911 Out And There Was No Lag And Hella Fun Too

·
the MAD scientist
2,574 Posts
canuckhatch said:
D'oh Obviously Spelling Is Not My Strong Suit. I'm Just Curious About This Turbo Cause I Took My Bosses Porsche 911 Out And There Was No Lag And Hella Fun Too
I've been for a ride in one, and yeah it was very fun.

Try calling Garrett? I always find I get the best info when I call a company directly.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
VNTs have been around for awhile, early examples use pressure to alter the exhaust housings A/R to flow more at the high end. Newer ones can be electronic or mechanical, bet the idea is the same.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
AS far as early ones went in the late `80's and early `90's it was price. A .48 A/R T3 exhaust housing was in the $400 dollar range IIRC. If you want more info on them, some of the newer Saabs use them I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts